9

~Saeko's POV~

I had always been told about an incident when I was younger.  At first, I thought it would be a storytelling of those embarrassing things I did as a child and completely forgot about. But it turns out, it was part of the reason why I had memory issues.

From then on, I could always sense a lingering voice in my head.

A voice itching me to remember, but one I could not hear audibly enough to understand. Barely, I was able to grasp it, feel what happened, and experience the terror I felt back then. In the beginning, I thought I was experiencing a fever dream but as time passed and my memories slowly recovered, I could see a blurry memory of my past.

I was saved, from what could have been a very life-threatening injury.

A person rescued me from falling to my death, they had saved me in the nick of time but in return, they were injured. Every time I see that in my dreams, I always felt responsible of what happened to that person. My carelessness as a child could have caused them an entire lifetime of suffering.

I felt guilty. Even more so because I had no memory of them.

It was wrong.

It was terrible of me to forget.

But I knew there was no fixing the past, that is why I aspired to become a doctor. Because even if I could help that person, I could at least become a person who can help others in the future. 

That person-- no, that brave child I saw in my dreams.

The one with grey hair and fur smiling brightly at me, thought their eyes looked like they were constantly tired, the cute and cheeky grin they showed when she scoffed-- she brought hope and gave me aspirations to what I could become and not simply follow my late parents' footsteps. 

If only I could see her face. But sadly, everything was a blur.

I couldn't remember their face,

--Until now.

It was a woman, a year older than me. Her hair and eyes looked exactly the same as the one I saw from my dream, my cherished memory. Both of us sat by each other, shocked by the news of our wedding, and for some odd reason, I was crying.

It was a subconscious reaction, one I could not step despite my insistence. It was as if the fog in my head suddenly cleared up, and the lingering whisper of a voice in my ear abruptly turned to a shout.  

It was her! It was her! It screamed at me.

I felt my face heat up like I was about to explode.

She was the one.

I knew it.

*****

I always had this suffocating feeling whenever I remembered that story.

I-- was I actually . . in love?

By then, I was already weeping happily. I was both embarrassed and elated at the same time. It finally came to me, those sharp eyes, her tired look, and her bright smile.

Silvia, It was her.

The girl that saved me.

The person that inspired and motivated me to become what I am now.

Maybe one day, I'll remember everything. But for now, I'm satisfied with knowing it was her.

and until then,

I hope we'll be happy together.

"I now proclaim you, wife and wife."

<Revised>