|1| Watchful eye

Chapter One: Watchful eye

Around 60 years ago

Jasper Hale watched as the girl look the the body at her feet, confused at the sight before him. The corpse was clearly bleeding out and yet he couldn't even fathom the thought of feeding from him as she was capturing all of his attention. He couldn't comprehend how his uncontrollable blood lust could be extinguished without any effort. He was only certain of one thing: it had to do with the girl.

If he could call he a girl that is. She resemble more of a goddess than she did a human. He red hair drifting down her shoulders, balanced on a flowing white dress. She wore no shoes. Not even the blood staining her clothes take away the image of purity she was radiating. If she had one hair more, or one freckle less it and would take away from her beauty.

He could feel her sadness and guilt rolling from her in waves. She was drowning in it. Something was wrong with the girl and for all reasons unexplainable, Jasper knew that he had to help, to ease her pain and comfort her through her sadness. He didn't know why, he had never met this girl before and yet here he was, wishing he could do anything to help her. He felt like he would do anything for this girl. And that's why his heart broke when she saw him and her sadness instantly turned to fear.

"Who are you?" she called across the clearing, stepping away from him.

"I'm not going to hurt you."

"Reassuring!" She took another step back, holding her hands up in surrender, "still don't know who you are. Or what you want."

"I'm Jasper. Jasper Whitlock."

Jasper didn't know why he introduced himself using his human name. He hadn't used the name Whitlock in years. It didn't feel natural to him using the name Hale in-front of the girl. It wasn't honest but yet the use of the name Hale hadn't bothered him before now.

The girl looked at him curiously, her red eyes seemed to seep into his soul and yet he didn't mind. He knew the eyes were signs of her immortality and of the people she had killed.

"You're different." She said, walking forwards and refusing to make eye contact. "You're like me but you're eyes."

Jasper looked down, feeling insecure of what the girl was going to say. He still didn't understand how this girl had this hold on him but for some reason he wasn't put out by this hold but it felt comforting. Like it was always there.

She jolted back in horror, trying to get some distance between the two of them. "What are you?"

"I'm Jasper Whitlock. I'm like you. I promise." He looked back up at her, but didn't walk towards her. He wanted, no needed her to trust him. "I won't hurt you. You have my word on that."

"But your eyes..."

"I don't have human blood. I use animals instead. My father, Carlisle, showed me a different way to live when I found him."

"You found him?" She questioned.

"He's my coven leader, I found-"

"There's more of you." She said quickly, as if she would lose everything in an instant. "I need to go."

"Please don't." Jasper whispered.