|7| Red Varnish

Chapter Seven: Red Varnish

FIVE YEARS LATER

"Do you think Jasper will propose?"

If Alina needed to breathe, she would've chocked on her own breath. Instead, she cocked her head to the side in question. Rosalie was always one for romance and the idea of happily ever after but she had never tried to get Alina to see things the way she did. Last time she tried, Alina spent a month doing the opposite of what Rose had advised out of pure pettiness.

"Do it matter if he proposes or not?"

"Yes." Rosalie said, grabbing Alina's other hand to apply the second coat of dark purple nail varnish. She insisted that the girls do this every so often so for one night every two months, all the boys of the Cullen clan were forcibly removed from the house.

"Shouldn't you be asking Alice that?" Esme chimed in from the other side of the room where she was trying to choose a record to play. Currently it was a toss up between Frank Sinatra and Louis Armstrong. Esme took over choosing the music when Alice and Rosalie had a two hour argument about it last time they spent the night all together. "Alice, do you know if Jasper will propose?"

Alice smiled and nodded before picking up a red varnish for herself, "Yes I do know..."

Everyones eyes shot too Alice. Even if Alina wasn't bothered if Jasper would propose or not (they were bonded for life for heavens sake, she didn't need a ring and a contract to prove that she loved him) she did want to know if he would, after all it would prove that he loved her as much as she did him.

"I don't know if I can tell you... wait no... I can!" Alice squealed as she rushed to sit beside Alina. She went to grab her hands before retracting them quickly, realising Alina still had wet polish on her nails. "He will. No yet. But I've seen your wedding, and if everything goes to plan, it will be the best."

"So no city hall?"

"No city hall."

----------

As the night progressed, Alina tried to involve herself in their usual activities for a girls night, but she couldn't seem to focus. Jasper was going to propose. Alice refused to tell her when, where or how but just the knowledge that he was going to ask for her hand was enough.

She spent the night wondering just how he was going to do it. Would it be a night out in the city? A walk in the woods? Just them in their bedroom? Would he say it simply or with a big confession of love? The ifs and when's didn't bother her, she was just happy to know that he would.

She didn't realise how soon it would happen as she had no reason to look through Jasper's belongings in their shared room. But if she did, she would just happen to stumble across a diamond ring in a plush velvet box.