|9| A Question

Chapter Nine: A Question

"Actually, that's what I wanted to speak to you about."

Alina looked at Jasper in confusion. Had she done something to upset him? She had noticed that he was quieter all off the sudden, especially these last few weeks. She had left him to it, thinking that he would come to her when he was ready. Maybe she should have pushed him to open up to her. Maybe then he wouldn't want to end things with her...

"Oh." She whispered, pulling her hand from his. "Have I done something wrong?"

Jasper looked down at Alina. She looked heartbroken. He felt her sadness; unlike normal, he chose not to impose a more positive attitude onto her as he was unsure why she was so saddened.

"Why would you think that, Darlin'?"

"Nobody brings people out to "talk" for a good reason..."

Jasper looked down. Maybe he had missed the mark.  Shifting the ring from the palm of his hand to sit between his finger and thumb. With his spare hand, he took Alina's back into his grasp before getting down on one knee. "Is this a good enough reason?"

"Jasper..."

"No. Let me talk." Jasper flashed a smile up at Alina. "From the day we met, I knew that I would spend my life with you. Where you go, I would follow. And I am damn well pleased that I was right. Alice spent months predicting when you would come, and when you did, you were far beyond any of my expectations.
Everyday I spend with you, I am reminded how lucky I am to be able to spend every single second I have by your side. I can't imagine a future without you, and I don't want too. So that's why I am asking you, Alina Elizabeth Roswell, to be mine forever in matrimony. Will you do me the honour of marrying me?"

"Jasper..." Alina whispered. Just seconds ago she was certain that Jasper was sending her away, but he presented her with the complete opposite. She could see the hurt in his eyes when she hesitated but that made he more sure of her answer. She couldn't stand to see him hurt, she wanted to cure his pain in every way possible. She wanted to spend forever with him. "Yes. Yes, I will marry you. Of course I would, I'd be an idiot not to."

Jasper stood up to place the ring on her finger. The diamonds matched the way her skin shone in the sunlight. He cupped her cheek before kissing her deeply. When they pulled away, Alina cast her gaze down to the ring.

"Jasper, it's beautiful. Where did you get this?"

"It belonged to my mother. It's the last thing I have of hers. And now it belongs to you, Alina. And there isn't anyone who I'd rather have it."

She looked up at her mate. Watching how he shimmered in the sunlight, reminding herself how lucky she was to have the privilege to love him.