|47| As the world caves in

Chapter Forty-Seven: As the world caves in

Edward hadn't left Bella's side for two days, watching as her body healed from a fragile human on the verge of death to a vampire on the brink of immortality. He sat, remembering his own transformation as well as his siblings.

How Rosalie was turned to be his companion; the tragedies Esme endured; how Emmett and Jasper were in the wrong place at the wrong time; how Alice had no way to know; the way Alina lost all faith in the God she worshiped.

If Edward had the displeasure to choose who had most tragic death it would be between Esme and Alina. He hated to think how his adopted mother had suffer through abuse and child loss until she could no longer stand to live but he often pondered Alina's passing into being undead.

Like most of her time, especially in a small town, she attended church every week. She and her mother attended together, always praying for a new turn of events which would allow them to move past how Alina's father, Alexander Roswell, had betrayed them, how he had left them.

But they didn't know that he didn't have a choice.

The day he died he had seen how there was a man lurking outside of their house in the early hours of that morning. So he followed him, wanting to ensure he wouldn't return. The man answered Alexander's question by saying how he wanted his daughter's life. He then offered him a bargain, Alexander's life to spare Alina's.

Alina had spent the next years grieving a father who had vanished overnight. True to his word, the man didn't return for Alina but it wasn't his choice to make. So instead, the man's master sent someone else: the master wanted Alina dead.

She was in church when she died.

Alina had always been taught that God would protect her in a church. She lost that ideology when a small blonde girl walked in and gave Alina her name: Jane. Jane made quick work of Alina, cutting off the oxygen to the human and the feasting from her afterwards. She didn't realise that she hadn't killed the girl immediately and thus submerged her into the unforgivingness of immortality.

"A penny for your thoughts?" Carlisle said, walking into his office to find Edward still fixed on Bella.

"Nothing important."

"I've known you for too long to believe that, Edward."

"Fine," the younger vampire relented, "I was thinking about how cruel death could be. Especially death after life."

"Is this about what you learnt in Italy?"

Edward sighed. "How am I meant to tell Alina that her father didn't abandon her? She swore to me years ago that she never wanted to speak of him again. And yet..."

"Yet what?"

"She deserves to know."

"Then tell her." Carlisle stated before gesturing towards the door. Edward stood, glancing at Bella, silent asking Carlisle to watch her whilst he was gone. Once he received a nod from his father, Edward set out the thing he had been dreading to do.