|37| Training

Chapter Thirty-Seven: Training

"How bad do you think it'll be?" Alina asked, rolling over on the bed to face Jasper who was currently looking for something in the chest of drawers.

"You'll be fine. I promise."

"That's not what I asked."

He turned quickly and sat down next to Alina, taking her hands in his. "It'll be ugly, like Carlisle said. But we'll get through it. We always do."

"You'll finally have to show me how to fight."

Jasper sighed. "I don't want you to fight."

"Why?"

"I've already lost you once. I can't lose you again."

Alina sat up and wrapped her arm around Jasper, pulling him into her side to comfort him. She had tried to avoid imagining how much Jasper had suffered without her and she would try her best to never inflict that on him again. But she couldn't abandon her family when they needed her.

"Jazz..."

"Please, Darlin'." Jasper whispered

"I'm not going to leave your side. I promised you that. Even when things get tough. No matter what, I'm with you till the end of the line."

"You're not going to listen to me, are you?"

"When have I ever?"

—————

The wolves approached slowly through the trees, watching the Cullens to see how they would act around the pack. Edward gave them a tight smile before addressing his family.

"They don't trust us enough to come in their human form."

"They came, that's what matters." Carlisle spoke up, trying to break the tension, "Will you translate?"

Edward nodded as Carlisle slowly approached the pack. Alina rolled her eyes at how cautious he was being. If the pack wanted them dead, they would've attacked by now. She rolled back and forth on the balls of her feet until Jasper let go of her hand and walked forward to speak to everyone.

"A newborn army, doesn't need thousands like a human army. And no human army could stand against them. The two most important things to remember are, first... Never let them get their arms around you. They'll crush you instantly. The second... Never go for the obvious kill. They'll be expecting that. And you will lose."

Jasper beckoned Emmett forwards as a demonstration to everyone in the clearing. He winked to Alina before starting to fight. Emmett charged at Jasper with his full strength. Emmett lunged to grab Jasper several times only to grab as Jasper dodged his blows.

"Never lose focus. One more thing... Never turn your back on your enemy."

The rest of the family stepped up one by one to fight each other. Each round getting better and better as they progressed with Jasper's instructions guiding them.

"Focus on speed, agility, keep your opponent off guard. Use their momentum against them."

—————

Alina approached Jasper just as Edward had taken Bella home. She quickly pecked his cheek before grabbing his hand.  "What did Bella want?"

"She asked how I knew about this... and then she asked about how I met you, Darlin'."

"And what did you say?"

"Just about how you saved me." He said.

Alina playfully whacked his chest. If she could blush she would be bright red. "Jasper..."

"What. It's the truth, Doll."