|2| Fear

Chapter Two: Fear

"Please don't." Jasper whispered.

She stopped, waiting for him to speak again. She was scared, Jasper knew that. He knew fear better than anyone else. It had followed him through the start of his immortal life and even plagued his human one. He had seen wars, both mortal and vampiric, both horrifying in their own ways. In both he had seen torture and virtue, life and death and the rise and fall of power. The thought of his sins followed him through his new life and he would spend forever and a day repaying them.

Every time he closed his eyes he saw fear. Fear from his passed family as they learnt about his atrocities, fear of his victims as he murdered them, fear from himself knowing that he was capable of murdering innocents in cold blood and be able to live with that. Jasper knew fear all too well.

"What do you want?" she asked, still not turning around.

"Your trust." he stated simply.

"Why?"

"I do not know. All I know is that I need you to trust me."

"How do I know that you mean me no harm?"

"You don't."

"How do I know that I should trust you?"

"You don't." Jasper said again, "You'll have to trust me to find out, I suppose."

"Alina." She turned around, looking curiously at Jasper once more. She started walking forward, only stopping when a small gap between them remained. Jasper looked at the girl in confusion, before gesturing for her to continue. "My name is Alina. You should know that if I am going to trust you."

"Well, Alina. I'm sure you have questions for me. Where would you like to start?"

"Your life. Tell me about it."

And so Jasper began, telling her about how he was born in Houston, Texas and then went on to fight in the war. He spoke about his best friend, Alice, and how she found in a small diner in Philadelphia. Jasper then spoke about his change in diet and his new family. Alina felt her heart go out to him, she had never met someone who had experienced so much pain in one lifetime, let alone the many the man before her had lived.

She had known pain, heartbreak and grief throughout her time on the earth but never to the amount that Jasper spoke of. She felt like she needed to ease his pain with every fibre of her being and she didn't know why. It was almost as if the idea of him being in pain caused her pain. It was strange, an unexplained phenomena.

Alina reached out her hand to grasp his, to offer some sort of comfort. When she made contact however, a warmth that she had never experienced from another flowed from Jasper and into her hand. The shock of this sent Alina recoiling, and her hand out of Jasper's instantly. Jasper, however, also seemed to have the same experience with Alina as he look at her, utterly baffled with what had just transpired.

"What did you just do to me?"