|21| End of the Beginning

Chapter Twenty-One: End of the Beginning

Alina was right. Bella did have an alternative motive. She had tried to trick Alice, Jasper and herself into staying at the airport whilst she would head to the ballet studio to face James herself. And that is how she found herself on her way to defend Bella from the tracker.

Bella had insisted on Alina not coming but she wouldn't budge. So Alina came but she was made to promise she wouldn't call anyone else to help her as James had demanded she come alone.

"Are you sure about this. I think it's pretty stupid." Alina said, looking out of the window of the speeding taxi, thinking of how Jasper would react to her upcoming actions.

"He has my mother!"

"After a few years, you'll barely be able to remember your human life. I don't see the fuss if I'm being perfectly honest."

"I disagree."

Alina hummed. She didn't see the fuss about human connections but then again she would be lost without Jasper by her side.

Bella spoke up again. "It's just here. On the corner."

The cab pulled over. Alina grabbed around fifty dollars from her pocket, shoving it at the driver whilst Bella mutters a small thank you. The two of them then rushed inside, trying to avoid any other humans having to see Alina as they weren't trying to expose vampirism today.

"Bella? Bella, where are you?" A voice called out through the studio. Alina assumed this was Bella's mother, Renee. Something seemed wrong though. Renee seemed calmer than Alina would expect. She was being held hostage by a sociopathic vampire and she seemed mildly spooked at best. Something wasn't right with it.

Bella ran towards the voice, but Alina stayed back, opting to launch herself onto the beams supporting the ceiling to be able to see at a better angle and hopefully not be noticed. And it worked; it was only when the rest of the Cullen's came did he realise he had been played.

"I told you to come alone. Now I am going to make this hurt."

Alina launched down from the beam onto James's back, flipping him over and away from Bella. Edward rushed to get the human out of the way before she could be hurt further from James. Emmett and Rosalie had quickly gotten to work to make a fire to burn the pieces of James.

He, however, had no willingness to stop fighting back against Alina. Emmett went to intervene but saw the vice like grip he had on her wrist. So he watched, waiting for James' moment of weakness.

But it never came.

Alina realised this. She was fighting alone. Alice and Jasper were stopping humans from coming in. Esme was tracking Victoria in Forks still. Carlisle and Edward were helping Bella and her injuries. And Rosalie and Emmet were powerless to be involved, save they risk Alina's life.

Alina was alone in this fight. She couldn't over power James; his grip was too strong. Every move she made, he followed. Trapping her. She saw the fire in the corner of the room and knew why she had to do.

She quickly propelled herself backwards, dragging James down. Refusing to let go as she let the flames consume them both. Her last thought in that moment was of Jasper.