|26| Attempt no. ???

Chapter Twenty-Six: Attempt no. ???

Bella sat in her chair, looking out towards the woods like she did everyday. Alina could now see what Charlie meant when he said she could help her. She knew the mate bond made it painful for the pair to be apart for long, she couldn't imagine being apart for Jasper for so long. But then again, she had been. When she left with Edward to go to Alaska for a week, the pain had been unbearable and yet she didn't even notice the emptiness in her bond anymore; maybe that was her punishment for her actions in Arizona: a lifetime alone.

Alina wiped the thought from her head as she stood up, startling Bella. She stood over to the human's chest of drawers and picked out an outfit that would keep her warm. "Put this on, we're going out."

Bella looked up at Alina confused, before sluggishly getting up and changed, not bothered by the vampire in the room. She barely took notice of those things anymore. It took her about ten minutes to pull everything on and drag a brush through her hair but in the end she looked some-what presentable.

"Now, go downstairs and get into your truck."

"Why?" Bella asked, "What are we doing?"

"I need your help to do something. And I can't do it alone."

She just nodded before doing as she was asked. Alina followed shortly after, trying to put her hand on the stair rail, noticing that she couldn't get a grip on it once again. As she was walking downstairs, she was wondering if her plan was a good idea but she knew she had to do it eventually. When she finally reached the driveway, she saw Bella in the drivers seat of the truck.

Good, Alina thought, I'd crash the bloody thing.

"Where are we going?"

Alina sighed, knowing that Bella would hate the idea but she wasn't going to give the human a choice. They both needed this. Bella to move on, and Alina to find herself again.

"My house."

Bella tried to argue, but a harsh glare from Alina shit her up. She quickly started the car and began the short drive to the Cullen house. It still looked the same as when Alina last saw it. Furniture covered with dust sheets, photos and personal possessions gone, void of any signs of life. When Bella finally pulled up, Alina motioned for Bella to follow her before he made her way up to the attic. She was nervous. How would Bella even help her. She had to try.

"Throw something at me!"

Bella stopped where she stood, "What?"

"We're working on my issue of not being able to touch things," Alina explained. She needed to regain this ability of her form. She couldn't continue like this. She thought that if Bella was launching things at here she could try to catch them, and breaking Edward's things could be therapeutic. "Now throw something."

Bella reached for an old dictionary that belongs to Carlisle and launched it at Alina's head. It went right through. She looked at the vampire for assurance that she did the right thing. After she nodded, Bella tried again.

After twenty-six attempts, Bella was tired and wasn't trying much anymore. She found an old pocket watch and tossed that towards the vampire, expecting the same result as last time. But she caught it. Bella looked up in shock, before launching something else and Alina caught it again.

"Now," Bella said, "Try letting this go through you. Imagine it going through you."

"What?"

"Trust me."

And she did. Alina put her faith in a human girl and too much surprise she was right. She imagined the cushion passing through her chest, and so it did. Maybe it wasn't the universe punishing Alina after all, maybe Carlisle was right: Alina was gifted.