|53| Fate

Chapter 53: Fate

The line between life and death always seemed so vague to Alina, seamless even; almost as if you live through death and died through living. But now, as she stared the kings of the Volturi in the eyes, she knew different.

Death was an inevitable being.

You could spend your whole life running from death, you could even escape death's grasp once your heart had stopped beating but in the end, he always won: death always prevailed.

Alina felt this odd sense of calm surrounding her. The vampires who had come to give witness to her niece's human traits looked nervous, even if they tried to hide it. Their only experience with death was their vampiric transformation but Alina knew otherwise. Alina had died twice.

She had never spoken about her experience with death, not even to Jasper, she couldn't comprehend what she had experienced but now, with the Volturi planning her family's execution, she thought back to the peacefulness of death. How everything was put in perspective when she dead. How nothing truly matters once your life ends.

Keeping eye contact with the kings, Alina watched as Aro gestured for Renesmee to come forwards to him, no doubt to look into her mind. The young child began the short walk towards the Volturi, he parents and her mate by her side. Once close enough he reached forwards before Renesmee placed her hand on his cheek.

"Magnifico!" Aro giggled as he read Renesmee thoughts, focusing on the ones she placed in his head herself, "half mortal, half immortal. A true hybrid with such power."

"Yes," Edward agreed, "Renesmee was born not bitten."

"There is no broken law," Aro said in a placating tone, watching every one of the opposing witnesses before him, authority laced in his words. Nobody in their right mind would dare to interrupt him, and it seemed Aro knew that. "However, does it follow that there is no danger? No, my dear friends. Now we have a bigger issue."

"I can prove the child won't be of any danger," a voice interrupted Aro from the corner of the clearing, shortly followed by four figures entering the field. Alina let out a small sigh as she watched Jasper come closer towards her, the empty pain in her chest growing rapidly smaller with every step her took. "I have brought my friends to bear witness to this"

"The time for witnesses is past! Cast your vote, Aro!" Caius snarled, venomously. But Aro just held up his forefinger to silence his brother, clearly intrigued.

Alice stepped forward lightly and introduced the strangers. "This is Huilen and hernephew, Nahuel."

"Speak, Huilen," Aro commanded. "Give us the witness you were brought to bear."

"I am Huilen," the woman announced in clear but strangely accented English. As shecontinued, it was apparent she had prepared herself to tell this story, that she hadpracticed. It flowed like a well-known nursery rhyme. "A century and a half ago, I livedwith my people. My sister came to me one day in secret and told me of the angel that found her in the woods,that visited her by night. I warned her. She was bewitched."

Everyone watched fascinated at Huilen began to tell her story. As she continued to talk, Jasper started to walk back from the Volturi to go stand by Alina. If today was going to be his last day, he wanted his last moments to be by her side.