|52| The end is near

Chapter 52: The end is near

The days seemed to pass more and more quickly than the last. Alina watched the sky as it turned from dawn to dusk and back to dawn again, knowing with each passing second, she was drawing into what could be her inevitable end to her immortal life.

There had been so many times before where she was confronted, and had even experienced, death in her lifetime but this time was different. This time she could see it approaching and she knew that there was no way to fight it.

Her first death, her human death, had been quick. She hadn't seen the vampire approach her. She didn't know she was dying until she felt the venom sweep through her veins.

Her second death, her immortal one, had been purposeful. She knew that she had a choice to follow Bella out of the airport without Jasper with her. She knew she had a choice to make, and looking back, she couldn't say she regretted it.

Her third death, the one she was waiting for, would be something else. She would die with her family by her side. She wouldn't die in a church for a God she held no faith for. She wouldn't die knowing she had left so many things unsaid. She would die knowing she had fought for what she believed in; she would die knowing that someway, somehow her death would mean something.

At first this thought was terrifying but after days of contemplation as Alina watched the snow fall and begin to stick, she found peace in her inevitable doom.

What is the point in fighting fate after all?

The other vampires who came to witness Renesmee's development hadn't found the peace that Alina had. She thought herself insane as she looked around the clearing where they all stood, as the vampires whispered nervously amongst themselves.

Alina stood alone. Everyone else had gravitated towards their mates and their covens but Alina stood alone. Her hands were started in her pockets as she twirled her engagement ring around her finger with her thumb. She had seen her aunt do it with hers when she was very young and she had picked up the habit after starting to wear a ring herself.

She kept her eyes steady ahead, facing the tree line on the other end of the clearing. She knew the Volturi were coming it was only a matter of time.

It didn't take long for the vampires to hear the footsteps of the approaching coven, with Garrett muttering a sarcastic "The red coats are coming; the red coats are coming," which confirmed everyone's suspicions.

Alina studied each of the faces of the Kings as they grew closer. Marcus looked dull and lifeless, almost as if he had also made piece with his death like the redhead had. Caius looked dangerous, as if he was a predator hunting down its prey. Aro, on the other hand, looked excited and it was clear to know why: he finally had a reason to destroy the Cullen clan.