|6| Diet Plans

Chapter Six: Diet Plans

"How would you feel about a new diet?"

"What?" Alina asked, growing more and more concerned about the people in front of her. Firstly, they all seemed to get alone. She had never seen more than three of her kind in a room together peacefully; in her experience, someone always lost their head. Secondly, they all had a different eye colour. All vampires had red eyes. Or so she thought. Lastly, they had a different diet. Even in folklore, vampires required human blood to survive, so what made this coven so different from everyone else.

"We don't survive from humans." Carlisle said, walking forward to rub Alina's arm comfortingly, "We found if we survive from different means than we gain rejoin society and live semi-normal lives."

"And it won't kill me? This new diet."

Carlisle laughed. "No. Jasper, why don't you go show Alina the way we hunt and then she can make a decision."

Jasper walked across the room and took Alina's hand so he could guide her out of the house. They went the way they came from, through the woods and towards the clearing they met at. The corpse still there, except from the blood had formed a pool of blood from the wound Alina had created.

They pair stopped and Jasper instructed Alina to close her eyes and listen to their surroundings. To ignore the blood flowing from the human. To listen to the way the wind blows through the trees; to the water pouring through the streams; to the wildlife in the forest.

"That's what we hunt." Jasper said quietly, as if not to disturb the serenity they had created. "Try it."

And so Alina rushed forwards towards her new meal.

—————

Rosalie crossed her arms in annoyance. "I thought you said Alina wouldn't be coming for another couple of years."

"The future, it changed." Alice replied, almost as if it was the answer to everything.

"And are we trusting Jasper to show her the way we survive. He doesn't have the best self control after all."

Esme went to go sit by Rosalie, sensing some discomfort and stress coming from her adoptive daughter. "We should trust Alice. She would've stopped anything if she saw anything going away from it's intended path."

"It's just..." Rosalie sighed. "Jasper's been through a lot. What if she doesn't decide to stay? What happens then? I don't think he can take anymore stress. Hasn't he been through enough."

Alice agreed. All of the Cullens did. Jasper put himself through stress, seeing it as repayment for his sins he has committed. Alina was meant to save Jasper but what if she did the opposite.

—————

"So how was it?" Jasper asked as he took her hand again, leading her back to the Cullen residence.

"It's not as satisfying as human, but manageable."

"So what are you going to do now?"

"Well I haven't had a family in a long time. A change in company would do me good, I suppose." Alina said, smiling sadly as if she was reminiscing. Jasper looked at her hopefully, silently asking for a definitive answer. "I think I will, if that is alright?"

"Of course it's alright. I'd want nothing more."