|3| Bonded

Chapter Three: Bonded

"What did you just do to me?"

Jasper looked down at Alina, before seemingly loose focus in everything. He had heard Carlisle once talk about the first time he saw Esme after her transition into an immortal life. About how in an instant he knew how he couldn't harm her, how he knew he would spend the rest of his days in aim to make her smile, about how he knew from that very second that he would lay down his life for hers in an instant. About how under no circumstances would he let anyone lay hands on Esme: The bond of a mate.

Jasper had thought that he would never find his mate. He thought he would be alone in his life, a karma of sorts for his sins as a human and then furthermore the sins of his immortal one. He was almost certain that he would never find his mate and yet here she was, standing in front of him, and yet he couldn't comprehend how he would go forward without her by his side. Little did he know that Alina was thinking the exact that thing, without knowing the true reason behind her feelings though.

"I need you to trust me." Jasper said again.

"What was that."

"Have you ever heard of mates?" he asked. Alina shook her head no, and Jasper took this as his cue to continue. "In essence it's the bonding of two souls, together forevermore."

"Are you saying that these 'mates' are stuck together until the end of time."

"Yes."

"And are you saying that we're mates?"

"Yes."

"Lastly, you expect me to believe you?"

"You did say you trusted me." Jasper said, looking down. He realised how stupid he sounded, telling an absolute stranger saying that their souls were made for each other.

Alina looked at Jasper like he was stupid. She couldn't fathom why she should trust this man after he told her they were mystically bound to one another; but alas, even through all of that she knew that she trusted him, although she didn't quite know why herself.

Instead of responding verbally, Alina reached out to grasp his hand again. She didn't recoil away from the warmth Jasper radiated this time as she knew what to expect. Although, after a few moments, she had become accustomed to it and even felt it oddly comforting.

"Are you certain about this 'mates' thing?" Alina asked after a few moments. Looking down, she noticed Jasper had still to let go of her hand; she found herself not minding in the slightest.

"Yes. I will have to speak to my father, Carlisle, about this but I am mostly sure."

"And if you are wrong, what happens then?" she questioned, "what happens then?"

"We hope I am not wrong, that's what we do." Jasper said, before starting to walk in the direction he initially came from, dragging Alina along as he wasn't ready to let go of her hand just yet. "And if I am, well, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it."