🐮 Chapter Five 🐮

JAMES' POV

I had been on call the whole day travelling all over the place treating so many cows I lost count. It was good for business but at the same time I was exhausted. I hadn't even made it to the sanctuary. They would have called me incase of an emergency and I trusted Jack and Jasper to hold down the fort just fine without me. They were responsible enough even though they brewed a lot of mischief when they were together.

I was feeling disappointed that I didn't get to see Lulu, that's if she had kept her word and gone to see Tuba. I hadn't been able to get her out of my mind all day. I was ashamed to admit that I had googled her when I woke up. Her name had sounded familiar and Google had reminded me why. She was the sister to Marini Kiarie, business tycoon, humanitarian and one of the most powerful and influential women in the country.

I can't believe I had encountered a Kiarie sister and made a fool out of myself. The media portrayed Lulu as a wildcard who liked to live life on the edge but that's not the person I had met at the sanctuary. That Lulu had been kind, caring and attentive. The media was clearly wrong on most things about her except for when they talked about her beauty. They had understated it because Lulu was gorgeous beyond measure.

I stopped myself from downloading pictures of her from the Internet. I had already invaded her privacy enough. I didn't want to dig a deeper hole for myself.

I had really wanted to see her again, but I'd gotten my first call on the way to the sanctuary and I had to turn around and go to work. I had intended to wait for her all day in case she stopped by but my plans had been thwarted by my job. I'd either missed my chance to see her or the heavens would have mercy on me and I would see her some other time. I really hoped it was the latter.

My phone rang just as I was going to my last appointment of the day. I picked it up after checking to see it was Jack calling. I was met with arguing on the other side of the call, nothing unusual when the two boys were together.

"Let me tell him."Jack insisted.

"Why should you get to tell him?" Jasper countered.

"Because I'm the eldest."Jack argued.

"Boohoo by two months."

"It's still counts."

"No it doesn't. Let go of the phone Otis."

"You're Otis, not me."

I rolled my eyes listening to their bickering as I grabbed my tools from the back of my truck. They reminded me of Mark and I when we were younger except louder and more energetic.

I knew what they were about to tell me wasn't about a new arrival at the sanctuary otherwise they would have used the radio. The radio was for emergencies only to avoid confusion and unnecessary panic.

"If one of you doesn't tell me what's going on I'll hang up."I announced firmly and that got them to shut up before they blurted it out at the same time.

"Lulu was here."

That statement had me halting in my tracks.

Hope sparked within me when I thought of seeing her again"Is she still there?"

"No she just left."Jack replied.

Well there agoes my second chance at making a better impression. I was never going to see her again. Dang it, I was so close. I huffed disappointed knowing I'd blown it.

"Why didn't you tell us how nice she was?"Jasper asked.

"And pretty."Jack added and they started listing all her good qualities as if I didn't already know.