🐕‍ Chapter Thirty Three 🐕‍

JAMES' POV

I had no idea why I was angry, I just knew that I was and I needed to get away before I said or did anything that I'd regret later. I'd never been the kind of person to get angry easily or loose my temple but seeing Lulu hand that envelope to Mark and Ruth had rubbed me off all wrong. I had insecurities about our relationship from the beginning but slowly by slowly as I began to fall in love with Lulu they had all washed away all expect for the one where she had more money than me. I never truly acknowledged it but it had always lurked at the back of my mind. It really had chosen the worst place and time to make an appearance.

Lulu was perfect and I loved her but the macho side of me that knew that a man was supposed to be the provider refused to submit to the fact that Lulu was the one better off financially. It made me feel worthless and it was eating me up inside. All the rejection I'd gone through in university for not being to treat my girlfriends to extravagant things or at least being able to afford the life they wished for came back eating at me. Would Lulu leave me like they had when she realized that I would never be able to provide for her the same way another man who was richer than her would be able to? Would I also be able to accept the fact that Lulu would always be ahead of me financially for the rest of our lives.

Somehow I ended up driving to my parents compound because I knew even in my hysteric state only one person would be able to get through to me, my mom. It was late at night but I didn't care, I had to talk to her so with that thought, I got out of the car. The two morans guarding the gate bowed slightly in respect when they recognized me and opened the gate for me. It was so quiet I felt like I was walking through a graveyard. I found my way to my mothers manyatta hut and knocked softly.

"Mama it's me Lankenua, open up I want to talk to you."I requested knocking again.

"Lankenua?!"She called out groggily considering I'd woken her up.

She and my dad had left the wedding hours ago claiming it was time for the young ones to have their fun.

"Yes mama, it's me."I replied.

"Is everything alright? Is Lulu okay?"She asked as I heard shuffling inside.

"I just want to talk mama."I answered and stopped patiently waiting for her.

She was asking whether Lulu was okay, physically yes but I was sure she was confused and probably hurt by my reaction and behavior. I was not myself either that's why I needed advice from the wisest person I knew to know what my next step was.

My mom opened the door looking sleepy, her shukas tied loosely around her. Her arms and neck were bare since she didn't sleep with any of the jewelry she wore during the day.

"What's wrong son? And what time is it?"She asked yawning as she stepped outside.

According to tradition I was not allowed into my mother's hut from the day I was initiated into adulthood. If we were to speak, we had to do it outside.

"It's late but I couldn't go to sleep without talking to someone and since Mark and Ruth just got married, I couldn't interrupt them so I came to you."I informed her.

"It's good to know I come third in your list."She teased and I rolled my eyes.

"It's not like that mama, I just don't like disturbing you."I explained.

"James you're my son. It's your job to disturb me. Now tell me what's going on with you and Lulu."She asked taking a seat on the dusty veranda of her hut.

"How did you know it was about Lulu?"I asked.

"Because if it was not a problem involving her you would have gone to her first for advice. Now sit down and talk to me."She demanded and patted the space next to her.