🐃 Chapter Thirty Nine 🐃

JAMES' POV

Arriving back at Ndoto after such an exciting Christmas with the Kiarie's was like getting home from a fun school trip. It had been a very emotional goodbye as we'd spent a couple of amazing days together but we all had our lives to get back to. The Kiarie family was amazing and I was glad to have been a part of it. I was right to have been scared of them at first since they were a very powerful family but they had accepted me as one of their own and as Lulu's boyfriend.

Asking for Lulu's hand in marriage had been nerve wrecking but I had managed to do it and keep my head. Our tradition dictated that I should have gifted her family a token while asking for Lulu's hand but the Kiarie's didn't really follow tradition so I just went ahead and asked when the opportunity presented itself. They had all been so kind and accepting alleviating my fear of rejection immediately.

Lulu finding out that I'd asked for her hand didn't go so bad either. She didn't like that I went behind her back but I'd done that because I didn't want her involved. I wanted to marry her and the first step to that was to ask for her hand in marriage. That was already done so the next step would be to go down on one knee and ask her to marry me but that would have to wait for a little time longer. I still had a few things to sort out before I popped the question.

"Jamie you in here?"Lulu yelled from my bedroom.

"In the bathroom."I replied as I finished tying my dreads in place.

We were going to my parents for new years eve so we could all usher in the new year together. It would be great to see everyone all together since we hadn't seen them for about a week. After making sure that I looked presentable enough I walked out of the bathroom and found Lulu sprawled on top of my bed scrolling through her phone. She looked so beautiful and I wanted to see her in my bed for the rest of our lives so I was definitely going to hurry and make her mine fast.

"Ready to go?"She asked when I leaned in to kiss her.

"Yeah, thanks for picking me up. I've yet to get my truck back from Mark."I replied.

Mark's truck had been damaged by an elephant while he was at work so he needed to borrow mine for a few days while he got his fixed.

"I don't mind and you can let him have it. Just pick another one from the site."Lulu suggested getting up so we could leave my room.

"You're generosity still awes me but I like that specific truck so I'll take it back. Mark will be the one to choose a new truck before he gets his fixed."I replied to which Lulu just responded with a shrug.

I locked the door behind me and took the car keys from Lulu's hand so that I could drive.

"I've missed everyone, I haven't seen Mark and Ruth since the wedding so it will be nice to catch up."Lulu commented.

"I've missed them too. Mom will definitely be glad to see us after we missed Christmas."I answered.

"Will she be mad at us for that?"Lulu asked with a hint of worry in her voice.

"Baby calm down, we're okay. She understood that you have a family too and we need to divide our time equally. She can't have us all year round."I reasoned.

Lulu relaxed back onto her seat, her fear of my mom already alleviated by my reassuring words. The drive was short and we were welcomed by the excited voices of people milling into my parents compound for the party. Everyone in the village was welcome and there was food and drinks for all. I parked outside the compound next to my truck which let me know that Mark and Ruth had already arrived. Lulu and I got out of the jeep and I took her hand leading her to my mother's hut. We had to weave through a lot of people and stopped a lot to say hello to some.