🦛 Chapter Forty Three 🦛

LULU'S POV

They say when you are about to die, your life flashes before your eyes and apparently they were right. As the car tumbled down the edge of the plateau I could hear myself screaming in fear but all I could see were all the highlights of how I'd lived my life. I saw my parents, my sisters, my life as I travelled all over the world, meeting James, falling in love with him, working at Ndoto, Marini's wedding, Ruth's wedding, Christmas with my family, new years with his family, James' birthday and then the proposal. I clutched my left hand to my chest and I felt something warm on it, it was definitely blood. We were falling too fast for me to turn to look at James but I could feel and hear him next to me grunting in pain. Please God help us survive this, I prayed just before we hit the bottom of the valley below, the jeep landing upside down with a heavy thud.

The only thing I could hear was my ragged breathing but there was a smell of sweat, dust and blood in the air. I was hanging from my seat in an uncomfortable position being supported by my seatbelt. It was cutting through my chest making the pain I was feeling on my shoulder even more painful. I was bleeding and in pain but I was alive. Thanks be to God, but what about James? I turned to look at him and he was in the same position I was but he wasn't moving and his eyes were closed. My eyes watered immediately as the worst case scenario floated through my mind. I lifted my shaking bloody hand to his neck sagging in relief when I felt his heart beat. His forehead was bleeding blood to his face alarming me. He was banged up but he was alive.

"Jamie... James... Baby wake up."I begged trying to shake him awake but to no avail.

I undid my seatbelt falling to the roof of the car in an uncomfortable position. I didn't know what damage had been done to the car so I needed to get out then pull James out. I didn't want the car exploding with us inside. God had helped us survive the fall so it was my turn to step up and make sure we lived. Because of the fall we had endured the windshield had cracked heavily meaning it was weak. I kicked it off with my legs then struggled past all the broken glass to get out of the car. I landed very ungracefully on the ground crying out in pain when my injuries were triggered. I didn't have time to assess the damage to my body, I would do that once I'd gotten James out of the car. Tossing the broken windshield away I crawled back towards James side the sharp stones biting into my hands and knees but I didn't focus on the pain.

I undid James seatbelt and he fell heavily to the top of the car. I was definitely stronger than I looked but I'd just survived a shooting and my car falling off a cliff so pulling all ninety kilograms of James out of the jeep was no easy feat. I grabbed his arms and pulled hoping I wasn't doing any more damage to his wounds.

Once I'd managed to get him out and away from the car I sagged back against a rock holding his head on my lap. I could see his chest rising and falling assuring me that he was still alive. Once I'd rested and gotten my breath regulated I began to check on James' injuries. He had a very bad cut on his forehead that was still bleeding and his left ankle was bent in a weird angle clearly broken. I pulled his shirt up and saw that his torso was starting to darken meaning he had broken ribs and possible internal injuries.

I was not in the best shape myself but at least I didn't have any broken bones and I was conscious. I tried to wake James again to no avail which meant he had to have hit his head pretty bad. I knew that I needed to wake him up since head injuries were serious but I had no idea how. I'd pulled us about fifty meters away from the car so we weren't that far from it but at least it was a good distance incase of any unexpected explosions.

I didn't have a phone on me so I couldn't call for help so I had to help James myself. I didn't know how I was going to do that but I needed to do it fast before James bled out in my arms. I also had no idea if the shooters were going to come confirm their kill so James and I needed to get far away from the scene of the accident. For us to get away I needed to wake him up first.