🐫 Chapter Forty One 🐫

LULU'S POV

"Why did you wait so long to bring me here?"I scolded James as I watched a herd of elephants drink water from the river bank.

"Because you wouldn't let me."James gritted out probably pissed off by my accusation.

"Yeah well you should have tried harder."I retorted.

I heard James growl from the driver's seat and I had to bite my cheek to hold in my smile. It was so easy to rile him up. I didn't even look his way just continued to watch the baby elephants play in the water as the mother's rolled in the mud. Oh to be an animal that just eats, drinks and plays in the mud is bliss. But if you really thought about it wasn't always sunshine and rainbows for animals like elephants. There was poaching for one, drought, sickness and more problems like predators.

"Drive."I demanded James softly after I ruined the view with my depressing thoughts.

Mark had informed me earlier that the elephant James had been treating was actually sick because she was in mourning. Her entire family her had been poached for their tusks, even her two year old calf. Yes apparently elephants felt sadness and could grieve for the loss of loved ones. Mark had told me that Nancy would probably die from depression which was very sad. I prayed she would make it through. She was still young and could start another family.

"From what I've seen so far the security in this park is pretty air tight, how do poachers manage to continue hunting our animals and getting away with it?"I asked James.

He looked taken back by my question and I had to agree that it was pretty random but I was feeling very emotional.

"Poachers are actually smart and they sometimes liaison with villagers from the neighboring communities who know the park well. They take weeks scoping out a specific herd from a distance, observe the shift changes and strike when they see even the slightest of chances. They have sophisticated weapons so they even mask gunshots with silencers to avoid detection."James explained.

"Can anything be done to eradicate poachers completely?"I inquired.

"The elephants are already adjusting by being born without tusks which is great but still sad. The tusks are a big part of what makes elephants special but if they have to lose them to protect themselves then so be it. The KWS do their best but honestly the thieves are determined and they have a lot of motivation because of the money they get."James replied.

I sulked back in my seat mulling over his words. My work at Ndoto was almost complete and I had to start thinking of what to do next with my life. Maybe I could get into wildlife conservation, that would be a noble course to take. I would have to think about it thoroughly though but it was a good idea.

"Hey no more mopping, we're here to have fun."James declared shoving me playfully.

I looked at him and smiled when I saw the grin on his face. He probably knew what I was thinking about and I knew how passionate he was about wildlife conservation so he understood sadness. He was right though, I didn't want to ruin our date by being so negative so I decided to focus on the positive and enjoy the drive.

"Okay no more mopping. Where are we going next?"I asked noticing the trail we were on had faded tire tracks meaning it wasn't used often.

"It's a secret of the park, it's too far in to take the tourists but a lot of the game wardens know about it and take those really passionate about nature for an extra fee of course. You my beautiful queen are going to see it for free courtesy of your boyfriend."James answered with a happy grin.

"Ill not even ask what it is, just smile and let you lead the way. It sounds pretty interesting."I grinned.

"It is."James insisted.