🦚 Chapter Twenty Eight 🦚

LULU'S POV

As nice as it was getting back to work I missed James. I found myself thinking about him every minute of the day. It was not necessarily a bad thing, it was just very distracting. It was reflecting on my work seeing as I should have been giving instructions on what pesticide to use on the tomatoes in the greenhouse but I was busy grinning at my screen saver which was a picture of James. I'd taken it the morning we'd spent together and he looked really handsome. I'd asked him to lie back on my bed, his dreads spread out behind him like a halo. I'd taken it while straddling his lap and when he'd had enough he had turned us over and tickled me till I'd begged him to stop and promised him no more photos.

Someone patted my shoulder startling me, making me drop my phone.

"So sorry miss."The timid young man apologized bending over to grab my phone for me.

"It's okay, it's my fault for being distracted."I brushed him off as I took my phone from his outstretched hand, dusted it off before pocketing it.

"Do you need anything?"I asked him.

I really wanted to remember his name but I had so many people working for me it was hard to remember all their names.

He was dressed in protective gear meaning he was either getting ready to spray the crop with pesticide or he had already done it. He was tall like all Samburu men were, his face covered in tribal tattoos, his teeth were a brown colour corroded by the water they consumed with but with a kind smile on his face.

"The measurements miss."He requested in his broken English handing me the bottle of pesticide.

"Oh yeah sorry."I apologized remembering my responsibility.

I took the bottle from him and proceeded to show him how much to use. After he left I decided to get back to work and push all thought of James at the back of my head. I'd see him the next day anyway considering we had our date then. I had no idea where he was taking me but he had specifically asked me to dress up. I was looking forward to the date because it's where I planned to tell James that my feelings for him had grown exponentially. I would confess to James that I had fallen in love with him. I knew he felt the same way, I'd seen it in his eyes the night we'd spent together and the morning after, I just hoped he had the courage to say it back. I had no issue being the first one to say it, he'd already made such headway in building our relationship, I wanted to help him out.

I continued doing my rounds at the green houses and when I was done I stood next to my truck overlooking it all. I was so happy at how much I had accomplished the past few months. We had three mega greenhouses they had been planted different things. We had spinach, cucumbers, broccoli, tomatoes, peppers, strawberries, peas, cabbage onions and kales. A lot would be ready for harvest in a few weeks and I was planning on hosting a party in celebration for the first harvest. Everyone would be invited and there would be enough food for everyone. I hadn't really thought it through but I was sure if I gave Korir the idea, he would be more than happy to help me out. James mom, Naeku had also taken a liking to me and was always offering to help, I would soon when we started harvesting.

Feeling content that everything was running smoothly I got into my truck and moved on to my next stop for inspections. If everything went according to plan, all my work in Ndoto would be complete within the next two months. A part of me was excited about the whole thing but I was also sad considering I had no idea what to do with myself after Ndoto. James and I were dating yes but was that enough for me to stick around. Would our relationship have progressed forward by then or would I have to set down roots in Ndoto without knowing how long I'd have to wait till James was ready to take the next step? I shook off those negative thoughts and focused on the road.