🐁Chapter Thirteen 🐁

LULU'S POV

I didn't like keeping people waiting because I personally hated lateness and tardiness yet I was an hour late for my meeting with the Director in charge of the dispensary at the village. I'd gotten caught up in making orders for the green houses and coordinating everything with Marini. It's not like he could leave since he was on duty but still it was not a good image.

I drove past the faded sign post for the dispensary and it came into view ten minutes later. I would have thought I was at the wrong place were it not for the long line of people in front and the fading Nyali Dispensary painted in the front of the building. The sun was scorching hot and most of the people were lying under the shades of trees probably unable to stand. The building itself looked like it had seen better days, it was small, the paint was chipping off and it was definitely unsanitary even for a hospital. So as not to take up any shade, I just parked my car in the sun and got out locking it behind me. I was wearing gray cargo pants, a baggy t-shirt knotted at the front and a pair of sneakers. It might have been an official meeting but there's no way I was going to wear a blazer in such a weather. My sun glasses shielded my eyes from the sun as I walked across the dry courtyard towards the building. Most people looked at me in awe and wonder probably since I looked so out of place. I hope they didn't think I was cutting the line when I walked to the front desk. The nurse at the reception looked to be in her late forties with wrinkles at the corners of her eyes. She had a tired smile on her face making me and wonder how many hours she had been on duty.

"Excuse me, sorry to cut the line but I'm here to see Doctor Ezra."I requested.

She looked up from whatever she was writing probably ready to call me out for my rudeness but once she saw me her smile got wider.

"Miss Lulu, hello. I'm so happy you're here. The doctor told me to expect you."She expressed.

Looks like I didn't even need to introduce myself, my reputation preceded me.

"I'm sorry I'm late, got caught up elsewhere. Can I see him now?"I asked.

"Yeah of course, his office is down this corridor to your left, I'm sure you won't miss it."She explained.

"Thank you."

"No thank you, seeing you here gives me hope."She smiled and I just nodded at her before leaving her to her work.

The corridor was filled with people either getting tended to by the available nurses and doctors while others were lying on Shukas on the floor. It was so cramped I had to walk over people to get to where I was going. My heart broke seeing all of them like that and I had to keep blinking to hold in the tears.

I found the doctors office, knocked and walked in without waiting to be invited in. With all the noise going on around me, he probably didn't even hear the knock. His office was neater than the rest of the hospital but still in bad shape. On one corner was a wooden table with plastic chairs, cabinets against the walls full of files, medical posters on the walls and on the other side was an examination table where a small boy was being examined by who I assumed to be Doctor Ezra.

"I'm sorry, I didn't know you had a patient. I'll wait outside."I apologized and the Doctor turned to face me.

"Lulu Kawira if I'm not wrong?"He quizzed.

"At your service."

"Just a few more minutes."He requested and I nodded before walking out and propping myself against the wall next to his office.

The doctor was old, maybe in late fifties but he looked kind and capable from what I'd seen. I'd leave my assessment of him for later when I'd held more than a thirty second conversation with the man.