🐆 Chapter Six 🐆

LULU'S POV

James stared at me weirdly after I told him what my intentions were and for a moment I thought he was going to hug me like Saldona had earlier that morning. Now that would have been a welcomed experience but I shouldn't be encouraging those thoughts, it was wrong. He had a girlfriend and no matter how handsome he was he wasn't worth betraying my morals for.

When I had seen James talk to that girl in a more than friendly manner looking all cuddly I had moved closer to the fire to avoid looking at them. Of course he had to be in a relationship, there was no was such a handsome guy could have been single surrounded by all the beautiful girls I'd spotted around the compound. And besides its not like I had a chance with him considering his community tended to marry within their own. I was Meru and he was Samburu, we couldn't be any more different.

After my discussion with Mr Korir Koinet, the village elder which had been very productive he had excused himself to go tend to his livestock. I'd noticed the kids still staring at me curiously and I'd asked them if they wanted to hear a story. They had eagerly nodded and I didn't even have to ask them to be quiet. They just sat down cross legged on the ground looking at me attentively. I missed being a kid sometimes, they were so innocent and oblivious to how big and dangerous the world was. I'd picked one of my fun travel stories and kept them occupied. It was a shame Namelok, who I'd discovered to be Korir's daughter had called them away. I'd promised to be back though and I would keep my promise.

I had been wondering what to do since I was no longer busy when I turned my head and saw James getting all cozy with a girl dressed in traditional attire. Her hands were on his chest and I just couldn't bare seeing them so close so I'd moved away.

Now I'd just discovered that he was Korir's son meaning it would be hard avoiding him. At least he'd told me that he lived away from his parents so I hoped us encountering each other would be rare. James had been the first person I'd been attracted to in a while, too bad he was taken.

He was about to say something when his mom called out to us inviting us to a separate hut for food. I tightened James shuka around me taking in a whiff of his clean manly scent and followed his mom. When I entered the hut I gasped at all the meat laid out in front of us. How much meat could a goat have? They had probably slaughtered a cow or something. They had cooked it fast too but it looked well done and tender.

I sat cross legged and to my dismay James settled himself next to me. We were joined by his parents, Namelok and her husband and two of James brothers and their wives. Their names were rambled out but I was too hungry to catch them. I'd catch up later.

"We must thank God for the food and our new guest who has brought us good fortune."Korir stated and we all bowed our heads for prayer.

It was short and to the point which my grumbling stomach was grateful for. We all dug in soon after Korir and Naeku took the first bite. There was ugali and herbs which went perfectly with the grilled meat. Whatever method they used to grill the meat had been worth it because the steak melted in my mouth. Best grill I'd ever had. I was almost tempted to ask Korir to adopt me so I could always eat like that.

"Lulu tell us more about yourself. Where are you from?"Namelok asked.

"Let the poor girl eat."Naeku scolded.

"It's okay I don't mind."I defended Namelok. "I was born in Meru but moved to Nairobi when I was fourteen together with my sisters after our parents died. Marini, my elder sister raised me and Amani the youngest so we're all really close."

"It's such a shame about your parents but your sister did a good job raising you. You are a fine young lady."Korir complimented.

"Thank you, I owe her all my success."I beamed.