🦋 Chapter Fifteen 🦋

LULU'S POV

After coordinating with Ruth for two weeks to get everything in order, the day for the tree planting finally arrived. It was a beautiful Saturday, hot as always but with the promise of a successful day in the air. I had already arrived at the school, all the students were there together with Ruth and other teachers. We were just waiting for James and Mark who were driving the pick up trucks that had the seedlings in them.

I finished tying the laces to my black combat boots that I'd matched with blue jeans ripped at the knees a navy blue T-shirt. Ruth approached me from the distance and we shared a brief hug. We'd gotten to know each other well and she was a really nice person with a sassy attitude that I approved but she had a kind heart and a warm personality to those she was close with. Our friendship was growing and even though I didn't do girlfriends, I could see us becoming close really fast.

"All the kids are ready and excited, just waiting to get started."She informed me.

"Im glad, I don't know what is taking those two so long. They should have been here already."I commented looking at my watch.

"They will be here soon, don't worry. Knowing them they are probably racing each other. We have all day thou two let's give them so more time."Ruth consoled and I smiled.

I guess not everyone was as time conscious as I was.

"They better be but for now let's talk about something else. How are the wedding preparation going?"I asked remembering she was engaged to Mark.

"Slower than I'd want. We were to get married in August during the holidays but Marks salary was held back so we can't afford it. We're pushing it to December. It's probably for the best though, I don't even have a wedding gown."She explained sadly and I could tell she was really bummed out she wouldn't be getting married soon.

"How long have you two been together?" I asked and she chuckled.

"Actually we've only been dating two years and engaged for six months, he proposed in December but we've been friends since we were kids. He was always too immature for me but that changed when we grew older and I developed feelings for him."She relayed her eyes filled with love for him.

"You guys have a beautiful love story."I commented and she smiled.

"Thanks. What about you and James?"She asked wriggling her eyebrows and I chuckled.

"I knew you were going to ask that. Nothing's going on at the moment but we'll see."I replied vaguely not really wanting to talk about it and she nodded in understanding.

"Well I know for a fact that he fancies you and you seem to have feelings for him too. I'm sure you'll both work it out. You'll make a cute couple."She encouraged and I nodded.

"Thanks."I replied smiling.

Just then two pick up trucks entered the school compound. Ruth and I straightened up, our conversation cut short as we watched the trucks being parked a few feet from us. They caused dirt to fly everywhere and we had to shield our faces to avoid choking on the dust. James and Mark alighted the cars and approached us. James immediately came to my side making me smile while Mark went to his fiancee.

"Lulu, nice seeing you again."Mark greeted nodding at me.

"Same here, thanks for helping out."I appreciated.

"My pleasure."

"Ruth why don't you gather everyone around. We've divided ourselves into groups of four. We need to cover the school grounds, the hospitals, sides of the road and as many homesteads as we can reach. Each group of students will be under the supervision of four adults and we've all been teamed up together courtesy of Ruth."I updated the guys.