🐢 Chapter Forty Seven 🐢

JAMES' POV

Everything hurt, literally all parts of my body felt like they were being hammered on over and over again. Were it not for the meds Doctor Ezra had put me on, I would have been in much more pain. Speaking of meds I should have been taking my second dose of the day but they were in the kitchen and I didn't really feel like getting off the couch.

I'd been discharged after spending two days in the hospital and it was my third day at home. I'd managed to get my mother and sisters to leave so they could stop hovering over me but at the moment I wished they were around so I could send one of them to get my pills. The worst thing about my injuries was my broken ankle. I wouldn't be able to walk on it for six weeks then after that I would have to wear a boot for another six weeks until it was completely healed. Three months was a long time to be hopping around on one leg but it was better than being dead.

When I had woken up next to Lulu in the hospital, I had been relieved. My brave fiance had managed to save us.

The only thing I recalled after Lulu blew up the car and leaving me to find the helicopter was being lifted from the mattress by Isaac and Mark. After that I must have passed out from relief or something but I did vaguely remember holding Lulu's hand on the flight to the hospital. She had been my strength and always would be after the ordeal we had survived together.

Mark, Isaac and my brother's were still on the hunt for the culprits behind our shooting but they hadn't caught them yet. The savannah was vast and if they were trying to leave the country through the Kenya-Somalia border it would be harder to catch them. I would have been happy to join the hunt but I wouldn't be going anywhere for another six weeks and that sucked. I really hoped they were found though, because anyone who put my life and that of Lulu in danger deserved to rot in jail.

The door connecting the backyard to the living room opened and Jack walked in wiping sweat from his brow.

"I just wanted to get some water for the guys, the hose stopped working out back."He informed me.

"That's fine, there's a jug in one of the bottom cabinets and while you're at it bring me my pills and a glass of juice from the fridge."I requested him.

"Okay boss."He nodded waltzing past me.

Jack, Jasper and a few other men from the village were helping me remodel and complete my house. Rashid and some of the other engineers had helped me draw up a plan to finish the house and make it less of a bachelor pad and more of a home. There were a lot leftover materials from the sites Lulu had been working on and I had free labor from my fellow villagers so I wasn't using a lot of money. All I had to do was keep them fed and even my mother was taking care of that. For some reason that woman didn't feel okay if she wasn't shoving food down someone's throat.

Jack gave me my medicine and juice before he left the house whistling to himself carrying a jug of water in his hand. I could hear all of the men working outside and for some reason that gave me comfort because I wasn't really alone.

I took my medicine before lying back on the sofa in a more comfortable position, my left leg propped up. I started dozing off a few minutes later when the meds kicked in.

I had no idea how long I slept on the couch but I was woken up later by the front door opening and closing and the familiar footsteps of my girlfriend headed my way. She walked into the living room and smiled she saw me. I would never get over how beautiful she was because anytime I saw her, she was even more beautiful than the last time I'd seen her.

"Hi Jamie."She greeted cheerfully kissing my lips softly before scooching next to me on the sofa, lying on her back, her head nestled on my arm.

"Hi, you're here early."I commented.