🦎 Chapter Eight 🦎

JAMES' POV

My poor village didn't have many things to brag about in terms of infrastructure except for one thing, the church. It was a huge brick building built in the colonial era by my father and others when they were still boys. It was a magnificent sight with colored windows, a high ceiling, tiled floors that had chipped in some places and benches that were a little worn out. Okay so it wasn't state of the art but it held so much history in its old age and yet it still stood firm.

It had acted as a refuge when our village once got flooded, a makeshift clinic when the dispensary couldn't take any more patients during a malaria break out, we had lost so many that year. It was also a place of happiness like baptisms and weddings. It was a place of hope for us believers that we had a God who saw our sufferings and heard our cries. It seems like he had finally delivered after so many years, a savior, going by the name Lulu with the smile of a rising sun and the beauty of a goddess.

Lulu was standing at the front of the church dressed in a off shoulder maxi dress with minimum make up. Her hair had been trimmed and was curled up over her face in dark locks and short on the side. She clearly didn't like her hair long and it suited her being short. I didn't realize just how much I had missed her seeing as we hadn't crossed paths the past two days. She had been busy with her crew and I had back to back calls. Work was necessary but I had wanted to see her nonetheless.

I knew I had her number but for some reason I couldn't bring myself to text her. I don't know what I was waiting for. I had almost passed by the resort the previous night to go see here but I stopped myself when information reached me about her being in for the church service. I never missed church seeing as I was raised by a devout Christian mom and having faith in God gave me purpose.

There were a lot more people in attendance other than the usual church goers and it was nice to see that that people had responded well to her call. There were so many people that some of them even had to stay outside as the church was filled. They definitely came for the free food and water but it was still nice that they were there.

I watched and listened entranced just like everyone else in the church as she spoke about everything she was going to be doing. She didn't go into great detail but she said enough that had us all in awe of her. She introduced us to her fellow co-workers, mostly the lead engineers she would be working with and the foremen.

"I know it's going to be an adjustment and the progress might not be as fast as you want it to be but please be patient. It will all be worth it in the end."She requested with a kind smile and once again I was a goner.

I felt Ruth who was seated next to me nudge me in the ribs and I turned my attention to her.

"It's a surprise she doesn't have smoke coming out if her ears considering the smoldering looks you've been giving her ever since she stepped up there."Ruth teased in low tones so that only I could hear.

"Ha ha, nice word play there."I mocked with an eye roll.

"But seriously I know she's amazing and all, having personally met her but I have never seen you this hooked on someone."She continued.

I smiled sparing a glance at Lulu who was answering a few questions from the audience.

Our eyes met for a few seconds and she smiled, a smile that I knew was meant just for me. I smiled back before Ruth jabbed at my ribs again, harder this time.

"What?"I hissed at her.

"Don't hiss at my wife."Mark scolded who was on the other side of Ruth.

"Stay out of this."Ruth demanded pointedly at him.