🐾 Chapter Seven 🐾

LULU'S POV

I had spent the whole morning with Korir as he gave me a tour of the village. Not exactly a tour as he was showing me different places like spots where we could set up our gear and trucks and where all temporary housing for the workers would be built. They were too many to be housed in a resort so they'd spend a few days setting up temporary houses of iron sheets to stay in for the whole construction period. Before you feel sorry for them, they had been housed under worse, harsher conditions.

When I had told Marini about being here to build these people a mini wakanda, I had been joking at the time but not anymore. I would literally be making everything from scratch since they didn't have anything that actually worked, the dispensary was so small, it was a wonder it could cater for so many people. It made me wonder where their county government was when they were suffering like that.

"Why doesn't the government at least help you out?"I asked Korir who was seated next to me in the passengers seat.

"We've sent petitions and requests but all they do is dismiss us giving lame excuses like we're too far into the interior and the roads are impassable to bring relief supplies."He explained.

"The roads are in terrible condition? Really? It's their responsibility to fix them, those scoundrels. Sorry for getting worked up its just that we are the ones who vote for them after they make so many promises but after they get in power they flush those promises down the toilet."I huffed.

"No harm done dear. Your sister is doing so much good for us and you too miss Lulu. God shall surely bless you."

"Amen Korir, just you wait. By the time I'm done you guys will be living in an oasis."I promised and he smiled.

We passed by the school and I just had to stop the car to get a better look. It was definitely going to be one of the first things we worked on considering its poor state. There were a few classes but they had no doors, widows and half of them didn't even have a roof. The classes clearly weren't enough as I could see groups of students seated under acacia trees with books on their laps as they listened attentively to their teachers. Most of them were barefoot, their books looked worn out and clothes tattered but that didn't seem to bother them at all as they studied. It was such a sad sight, I almost cried.

"You want to go say hello?"Korir asked when he noticed me staring.

"I don't want to intrude."

"You won't be, come on let's go."He insisted and he was already getting out of the car before I could resist.

I got out of the car straightening my black romper. Korir led me to the largest group of students who were being taught by a beautiful young woman. She looked to be enjoying her work as the smile never left her face even though the dust on her legs showed she'd been been on her feet for a long time. Her eyes turned to us and Korir called her over. She excused herself to the class and walked towards us.

She bowed respectfully to Korir and greeted him with respect.

"Ruth I want you to meet Lulu, she's a humanitarian and our little village caught her sight and she's here to help."He introduced and I smiled.

She held out her hand and we shared a firm handshake.

"It's so nice to meet you, some of the kids were talking about the sweet lady who told them a story and I thought they were making it up."She was so nice and polite, I immediately took a liking to her.

"It's nice to meet you too."I replied.

"Come say hello, they love meeting new people."She requested.