🐔 Chapter Sixteen 🐔

JAMES' POV

"James do you have any glasses in this house?"Ruth asked rummaging through all the drawers looking very frustrated.

"You're asking as if it's your first time here."I chuckled as I grabbed two beers from the fridge for me and Mark.

"You might want to upgrade now seeing as you've set your eyes on Lulu, which means she might want to spend time here. You can't have her drinking water straight from the tap like an animal now can you?"She asked hands on her waist.

"I have cups."I mumbled a little intimidated.

I loved Ruth but she could be scary sometimes. How did Mark handle her everyday? No wonder she was a teacher.

"Plastic ones, what are we? Five?"

I opened my mouth to answer until I realized it was a rhetorical question so I justly quickly left the kitchen before she found something else to prod me about. I walked into the living room where Mark was watching rugby and handed him a beer. He nodded gratefully and took a sip, his eyes still trained on the TV.

As agreed upon we were all hanging out at my house. Lulu hadn't arrived yet but she'd texted saying she was still coming. Ruth and Mark were at my place all the time but this time it felt different, maybe because Lulu was going to be there. Actually not maybe, it was definitely because she was coming. I had no idea why I was freaking out. It's not like it was her first time coming to my place. She'd dropped me off a few times and even came in once and there was also the night of our date. I just hoped the ending to this night would not be as tragic as our date night.

"Stop thinking so hard about it man and relax, you're ruining the game."Mark whined next to me and I chuckled nervously wiping my sweaty palms of my jeans.

"Sorry."I muttered taking a huge gulp of my beer before leaning back on the seat.

Lulu was right and it was best for us to try and be friends first so that I could be more comfortable around her. I should have been excited that she was coming over to hang out with my friends but I was more nervous than ever and that didn't sit well with me. I felt like we took four steps forward then ten steps back and it was all my fault. I needed to get myself in check before Lulu decided I wasn't worth the wait.

"Mark help me with this please."Ruth yelled from the kitchen and like the obedient fiance that he was, he left his game and joined her in the kitchen.

I wanted what they had but how could Lulu and I get there if I was busy second guessing myself at every turn. I'd never behaved the way I did with Lulu around other women before. It wasn't entirely a bad thing because it meant that she was special. It was just bumming me out that I spent half my time around her a nervous wreck and the other half just hanging onto her every word like a lost puppy. I prayed to God for help because at the rate I was going, Lulu and I would get stuck at being friends.

The front door opened jarring me from my thoughts. Lulu walked in dressed in a grey checked pant suit, white sneakers and a bag in hand.

"Sorry I'm late, I had a meeting with the county council today about my permits and those power hungry bastards wanted to keep me there asking for bribes."She ranted out taking off her shoes.

She was so just so beautiful it was hard not to stare. See what I meant by love sick puppy.

"Oh hi, James. Sorry for my rambling. I'm just upset."She apologized.

"It's okay and you're not late, Ruth is just finishing up on dinner."I explained.

"Okay good. I brought some wine but I left it in the car, can you please get it?"She asked tossing me the keys to her jeep.