🐊 Chapter Forty Six 🐊

LULU'S POV

For the next few hours after Jamie and I got rescued I drifted in and out of consciousness barely aware of what was going on around me. I had been so strong, ready to scale a cliff so we could get help but as soon as I'd seen Marini I had stopped fighting or being strong. My big sister had come to rescue me so she would be strong on my behalf.

I vaguely recalled Isaac and Mark walking out of the cliff supporting James on their shoulders.

Next thing I remembered was being carried to the helicopter and being laid on a chair next to James. We were both wounded but we were alive, we had survived. We held hands the whole flight back to Ndoto, drifting in and out of consciousness. I protested when they separated us as soon as we got to the hospital to tend to us separately but I was too weak to do anything about it. I had my own injuries too so I couldn't just focus on James. Last thing I saw before I finally passed out was Doctor Ezra cutting into James' shirt to reveal his ribs.

When I came to properly after a few hours I was in the newly built in-patient ward at the hospital. I recognized it immediately because I had been there a week earlier when all the medical equipment had arrived. I struggled to blink my eyes open and assess my surroundings. When I could finally see properly I realized that I had an IV in my right hand and I was dressed in the stiff blue and white hospital gowns. I also had an oxygen mask digging into my nostrils making me uncomfortable so I reached for it trying to pry it off but a hand stopped me.

"Don't do that."Marini scolded giving me an admonishing look.

I hadn't even noticed her walk into my room but I was so relieved to see her. I had no idea why but hearing her voice set me off as tears welled in my eyes. I didn't know what Marini was doing in Ndoto but it was so good to see my big sister. She had saved my life. I struggled but managed to sit up so I could hug her. I cried on her shoulder and she hugged me back tightly rubbing soothing circles on my back.

"Hey it's okay, don't cry, I'm here. You're safe now."She consoled pulling back to wipe the tears off my face with the pads of her thumbs.

"How are you here?"I asked Marini looking at her in wonder.

"Isaac flew us here yesterday to surprise you but you weren't here. I knew something was wrong the minute you didn't come back so with Mark's help we located you using the micro chip."She replied.

I sagged in relief feeling happy to have an overprotective big sister who always went above and beyond to make sure Amani and I were safe. Amani and I had fought Marini when she had demanded we get the microchips but she had been insistent since it was the only way she would have allowed us to move out. We'd finally relented and gotten the implants. I had no idea why we had fought against them so much because once they were in, you forgot you even had one after a few weeks.

"Thank you so much."I cried hugging Marini once more.

"I'm just glad you're safe. Now tell me what the hell happened out there Lulu?"Marini asked her motherly tone slipping in.

She would definitely make a good mother but she had told me that she and Isaac had agreed to wait a few years before they started having kids. Marini hadn't wanted a husband in the first place so kids would take some time to wrap her head around.

I was about to tell her what had happened when I remembered James. James, Jamie, my baby, where was he, how was he?

"James?"I asked Marini my voice dripping with concern.

"Don't worry, he's right here."She replied getting up to push the curtain next to my bed aside to reveal James sleeping peacefully on the bed.

"You two kept calling out to each other as you drifted in and out of consciousness so we just put you in the same room."Marini explained my eyes trained on James, my fiance.