143: Steps

"Where are we headed, dear?" You asked, feeling rushed as you were practically yanked away from your daily tea time ritual. However, Severus did not respond to you. He merely kept you close and kept the pace fast.

Meanwhile, a necklace laid, green and glittering, upon Minerva's desk. As you drew closer, you could hear Minerva's voice from the corridor. "You're sure Katie did not have this in her possession when she entered the Three Broomsticks, Leanne?"

You recognized the names as a tight pair of girls in one of your later classes. "It's like I said." Leanne's voice was clear, "She went to the loo and when she came back, she had the package. She said it was important she deliver it."

"Did she say to whom?" A pause, "All right, Leanne.  You may go."

She hardly acknowledged you and Severus as you both walked into the doorway.

"Why is it always you three? Hm? When something happens?"

The red-headed boy sighed. "Believe me, Professor, I've been asking myself the same question for six years. Oh, Professors!" Finally, you and Severus were noticed.

"Is this it?" Minerva nodded to your husband. He took his wand, and lifted the necklace like a dead snake. You both eyed it with fascination.

"What do you think?" Minerva's eyes were downturned with concern.

"I think Miss Bell is lucky to be alive."

Harry's eyes looked wild and it was disconcerting to you. He, although not known for his calmness, wasn't often so blatantly desperate looking. "She was cursed, wasn't she? I know Katie. Off the Quidditch pitch she wouldn't hurt a fly. If she was bringing that to someone, she wasn't doing it knowingly."

Severus eyed Harry levelly. You hoped he wasn't going to pick a fight with the poor kid. Minerva was the one to answer. "Yes. She was cursed."

"It was Malfoy." Harry stated with no room for interpretation.

"That's a very serious accusation, Harry." You looked at him with a warning look. He needed to know what he was talking about if he was going to accuse someone within the Malfoy family.

"Indeed. Your evidence?" Severus asked. It was a reasonable question. Unfortunately, Harry did not have a reasonable answer.

"I... just... know."

"You... just... know. Once again you astonish with your gifts, Potter, gifts mere mortals could only dream of possessing.  How grand it must be to be the Chosen One." You tugged aggressively on Severus' sleeve and gave him a look. Ron and Hermione averted their eyes uncomfortably. It was a rare moment when Severus, although sarcastic, was indeed right in his criticism of the boy.

You simply shook your head. "I suggest you return to your dormitory. All of you." Glancing at the clock in Minerva's office however, it was noted that Severus and you needed to make your way to Borgin & Burkes to meet your family.

As the students left and Minerva sighed and dismissed you both, it was only a fifteen minute walk to the edge of the school. Severus would be disapperating you both to the creepy store. Although you weren't particularly in the mood to see your relatives, what happened at the Borgin & Burkes would be critical in the next steps. The steps towards infiltrating Hogwarts. The steps towards the Dark Lord's victory.