28: The Chamber of Secrets Arc Begins

"At least your new room is an exciting placement!" Rolanda comforted you as you relocated all your items. It was easier to get to this new location from your own quarters, but you would miss seeing that certain person each morning-- even if he hadn't acknowledged you in months.

"Why do you say that?" You groaned. "And if has anything to do with big, lumbering beasts, I'd rather not hear it."

"The story goes like this: Hogwarts was founded over a thousand years ago by the four greatest witches and wizards of the age: Godric Gryffindor, Helga Hufflepuff, Rowena Ravenclaw, and Salazar Slytherin. Three of the founders co-existed quite harmoniously. One did not. Salazar Slytherin wished to be more selective about the students admitted to Hogwarts. He believed that magical learning should be kept within all-magic families.In other words, pure bloods.Unable to sway the others, he decided to leave the school. According to legend, Slytherin had built a hidden chamber in this castle, known as the Chamber of Secrets. Shortly before departing, he sealed it until that time when his own true heir returned to the school. The heir alone would be able to open the Chamber of Secrets and unleash the horror within, and by so doing, purge the school of all those who, in Slytherin's view, were unworthy to study magic. Naturally, the school has been searched many times for such a chamber. It has never been found. The Chamber, which they say is on this floor, is said to be home to something which the heir of Slytherin alone can control. It is said to be home... to a monster." Rolanda laughed at your frightened face. "Not one of the troll variety."

"Well, then, fine enough." You shrugged. "No trolls, no problems."

She shook her head at you. "Be careful though, you heard what Dumbledore said about the rodents being petrified to stone around here... I'm hoping it's just a prank by the older kids, but you never know."

"I suppose-- Oh, Severus! Severus!!" You spotted the dark man from down the corridor and sprinted towards him. Rolanda smiled, shook her head again and left.

Severus' face looked slightly accosted at the sight of you.

"Esmeralda... To what do I owe being so violently summoned?" His snarky attitude was back, causing you to glow with a renewed sense of excitement. Perhaps he had only needed time to process.

You followed him down the hallway, empty for the last day of the year.

"I missed you!!!" You smiled hugely at the man next to you. "I missed everyone, but I have missed you saying such snippy things to me on the daily!"

Severus glanced over. There is was again, that glowing face that made him lose his composure. He paused outside of his classroom door, hand on the large knob.