120: Into The Memory

Harry sat down in front of Severus' desk and you went around the desk and squeezed your husband's shoulder. He in turn squeezed your hand as he examined the boy before him. "Have you been practicing, Potter?"

"Yeah..." Harry looked at you, nervously.

"Well, we shall see, won't we?" Severus placed his wand−tip to his head, extracted the same memory as last time and placed it in the pensive. Just then, the door opened and your pointy-faced shrew boy nephew, Draco Malfoy, stepped in.

"Excuse me, Professor. Madame Umbridge says she needs you right away."

"What on earth for?" Severus gave an exasperated sigh.

"Well, sir, remember when Montague vanished over Christmas? She says he's turned up in a toilet on the fourth floor."

"Any idea how he got there?" You asked him, trying to disguise your own annoyance.

"He's pretty confused, but I think he said something about the Vanishing Closet." Pushing his chair out irritably, Severus knew he wasn't able to refuse.

"We will pick your remedial potions lesson up tomorrow, Harry." You nodded to the boy. Draco sneered as the mares departed. Harry looked around for a moment, then stood and looked into the pensive. "Do it. I'll join you and coach you through." Harry looked at the door. There was silence, and then plunged his head into the pensive, with his body sucked into it as well. "My turn." You spoke to yourself before pushing your head in as well.

Harry stood next to the great lake at Hogwarts, with you appearing next to him. Under a tree sat a young Sirius. Next to him are the equally young Remus, Peter Pettigrew, and lastly, his father, James Potter.

"This was a memory of Severus' childhood." You explained. "It wasn't an easy one. Perhaps you will see why he struggles with your parentage."

"I doubt it. My parents were wonderful people."

"Everyone has their faults, Harry. Pay attention."

James was playing with a Snitch, letting it go and catching it again.

"Put that away, James." Sirius rolled his eyes as James shrugged and did so. "I'm bored. Wish it was full moon."

Remus snorted. "Easy for you to say." James nudged Sirius.

"This should cheer you up, Sirius. Look." Everyone turned to look at young Severus. Sirius grinned.

"You see," you spoke to Harry, "Severus does nothing to provoke them. It is a game to torment him."

"Excellent! Snivellus!" Sirius called out as Severus was walking by. The four of them stood and followed him.

"All right, there, Snivellus?" James called out now. Severus turned in a flash, wand out. Sirius was faster, however.

"Expelliarmus!" Your young uncle attacked first and Severus' wand flew from his hand. He dove for it.

"Impedimenta!" Severus stopped moving, struggling against invisible forces. Tears were in his eyes.

"You just wait..." Severus' voice shook as Sirius laughed.

"Wait for what, Snivellus? You to wipe that great greasy nose on us?" Sirius laughed even harder. Several bystanders laughed as well, as a crowd gathered. James raised his wand, turning to the bystanders.

"They had a cruel streak, Harry. They tormented him. They made him the way he is." You put a arm on his shoulder. "Memories like these are what you can draw on. Memories of extreme pain, of unrivalled anger or happiness; memories that never leave the forefront of your mind... those are what to use to shield yourself from you-know-who."

"And now, the moment you've all been waiting for−" James' voice rang out.

"Leave him alone, James Potter!" James turned, as well as Harry. It was his mother.