73: The Wrong Man Arrives

"Sever-- Oh, hello Headmaster Karkaroff." He could hear your tone change as soon as you realized it wasn't him who'd stepped through those doors. "Sorry, I thought you were someone else. What are you doing here?"

You waited anxiously as the Bulgarian took a step towards the window you'd been peering out of the last few minutes.

"Well Puișor, I heard you resided here, so I came to see you." Karkaroff's tone was so soft and warm, you almost felt bad for wanting to shove him out the door and tell him to get lost. Instead, you smiled politely, remembering your manners as you kept the view the window offered in the corner of your eye. You couldn't help yourself, you weren't exactly here to avoid other people. You were waiting for someone else to show up. Someone you now wished would come rescue you from this unwanted conversation you found yourself in.

"I was wondering," Karkaroff walked closer to you and took your hand. Shock overtook your body as you looked down at his hand encapsulating yours. It was much bigger and stronger than Severus'. You didn't much care for it. "if you would like to know the real Severus, before you decide who to dance with." he looked at you with a small hopeful smile and you suddenly felt yourself snap back to the reality of the situation. Your heart dropped when his words finally registered. You knew how appealing his offer was to many others, but this wasn't what was supposed to happen. It was all wrong. It wasn't supposed to be him telling you about Severus. It was supposed to be Severus.

"I-ah, I appreciate the offer," you replied, pulling your hand away from him, "but I'm afraid Severus has asked me already. And I said yes."

"Of course. All the pretty ones are always taken." All the pretty ones? You weren't sure what this had to do with information on the dark man, but nevertheless, you smiled politely and hoped he would leave soon. "He's not a good man. You could do much better."

"And is that 'better' you?"

"I have my faults, I admit. But I was never close to the Dark Lord. Severus was his right hand man. And if it weren't for him, his precious Lily would be alive and you would be on a very different path. He could never feel for you what he feels for her. You don't deserve second place, Puișor, you are a treasure."

"If your only complaint is his love for Lily, then you, sir, are late to the party. I know he loves Lily. I know I will never compare to her. He will never love me like he loves her and I accept that. I'm here for him when he needs me and that is all. Now, if you kindly excuse me, I've got better things to do than listen to your baseless gossip." Severus heard you begin to walk away from the man.