101: Meet Dolores For The Fifth Year

"First order of business before the students arrive; congratulations to Severus Snape and Esmeralda Tonks on their marriage. As it is now official, I have conjured a new room for the couple to stay together." Dumbledore explained with a knowing smile. The short, new lady hmph-ed in disapproval. "She has noted that students and staff may continue to address her as Professor Tonks, as to avoid confusion. The second order of business is to introduce the new professors this year. Professor Grubby-Plank will be filling in for Hagrid and Madame Umbridge will be graciously taking leave from the Ministry to teach our Defense Against The Dark Arts. This year may be already embroiled in controversy, but do not let it affect the high quality teaching that goes on in this school. That is all."

"Headmaster." A tiny voice piped up from the woman down the table from you. "If I may..." Dumbledore waved on who you assumed was Madame Umbridge to speak, although his face gave off an aura of annoyance. You figured having the Ministry muddle in his affairs would be a tedious process. "I look forward to a productive and careful year. I have been sent by the Ministry not to spy or to interrupt, but to ensure the quality of students teaching. You may see me pop in and out of your classrooms. Be prepared for changes. I will not tolerate those who resist progress, nor those who plow forwards for progress' sake. That is all." With a giggle, she sat down.

You looked at Severus who had the usual unaffected look on his face, but upon seeing your gaze, the corners of his mouth upturned. He stood up and offered a hand out to you. Seeing that the potions' professor was departing, all others stood up awkwardly and loitered around. You, however, were pulled to exit the room.

"Where are you off to in a hurry? Certainly not to hide away in the quarters you now share?" Dolores Umbridge looked personally offended at the thought.

"None of your business." Severus looked down his nose at her; his specialty.

"I have no business with you. I have a question for Professor Snape." She turned to you.

"I am Professor Snape." He took a step forward. "What do you need?" the venom clearly dripped from his voice.

"Oh, I apologize, the madame Professor Snape." She took a step to the side to keep eye contact with you.

"You may call me Professor Tonks." You took your own step forward.

"I'd rather not." She giggled. "It is not proper to call a professor by anything but their legal name."

"Regardless." You narrowed your eyes, seeing it would be a lost cause to argue but the tips of your hair and fingers turning scarlet with annoyance and anger. "What is your question?"

"Do you not find it uncomfortable to have students know of your marital status? As a woman, I find it highly improper of those around me to inquire." She giggled once more, a sound you were not going to get used to.

"That is the second time you have insinuated the impropriety of my wife." Severus stood fully in front of you and flicked his wand to his hand. "I shall not hear of it a third time."

"Fine, fine." She put her hands up and turned. "I respect the authority of a husband, after all."