156: Let Out Your Colors

A beam of horrible, awful, terrible green light hit Dumbledore squarely in the chest. For a second he hung against the railing and then... the night swallowed him as he fell back, the light gone from his eyes. Instantly, Bellatrix raised her wand to the sky and shot a deafening blast into the sky, shaking the castle, masking your cry. The clouds exploded with an even more grim lighting, eventually mutating into the dark mark. As the Death Eaters flee, Severus' arm dropped limply to his side. "You can no longer stay here." He said, emotionless, to a stunned Draco, who was staring at the empty place where Dumbledore stood only seconds before. Severus took him by the scruff of the neck and forced him through the door, then quickly grabbed your arm to drag you along. Your husband lead everyone down the spiraling staircase, his face a mask you couldn't read, as he rounded a corner. You wanted to scream, to shake him, to ask him if he knew was he did. To ask him if he was... sorry, perhaps. You needed to hear something. You noticed students still in pajamas and robes peering at the now emerald and grey sky, then turning to stare curiously at their DADA teacher, their Ghoul Studies teacher and their partially shocking companions. Severus swept past wordlessly while Draco averted his eyes, suddenly shameful of his choice. Bellatrix leered at anyone she could.

Hearing footsteps, an auror turned around to your group, but was quickly blasted off his feet by Severus. As you all approached the door of the great hall, there was a burst of excitement. Bellatrix was quickly inside, shooting bolts of magic up to shatter the beautiful, enchanted ceiling you had come to love. Cold air filled the room and shards of glass spilled down from the window like jewels. Even you were standing still; transfixed as the fragments threatened to lash your face and draw blood. However, they never made it to their destination, as Severus had a magical umbrella over the both of you. His voice invaded your mind, taking advantage of the sudden pause of events. Pushing his forehead into yours, you felt his fear.

You must celebrate. Let all your colors out, my world. We must pass this test. Albus and I had agreed that I would be the one to kill him, my love and I am so sorry and so devastated to have followed through. I am a criminal who deserves death and nothing less. But for now... for you, I will live with the guilt, knowing that I have preserved the Malfoy boy's innocence and saved our family from the truest evil we shall ever meet... for. now.

Tears fell down your face but with pain, you smiled brightly and let out a scream of "elation". Colors erupted from your body, emotion coursing through every color imaginable. You trusted your husband. For now. Everyone around you joined in your "celebratory" whoops and eventually everyone ran out towards the gamekeeper's hut.

"Draco! Draco!" Bellatrix screeched until he turned towards her. "They'll kill you if you stay. Come home with Auntie."

Everyone was racing toward the edge of the grounds. when suddenly, Severus pulled back, and turned you both around, only to see Harry sprinting toward him. Draco, too, stopped, only prompted to keep running by Severus' uncharacteristic scream at him. Before he could figure out why Harry was running at him, a giant fireball erupted into the sky. You wheeled back around, only to see Bellatrix and the others silhouetted against the flames. They've set Hagrid's Hut ablaze, hurting your heart further. Draco stood paralyzed again, until Severus screamed once again. He knew he couldn't protect you both and Draco's safety was something he was life-bound to protect.