65: Staff Meeting

Slowly, all of the non-Hogwarts professors and Harry left, leaving only the staff in the room. Minerva began first. "This can't go on Albus. First the dark mark in the sky, now this."

"What do you suggest Minerva?" Dumbledore looked just as frustrated as she did.

"Put an end to it. Don't let Potter compete."

"You heard Barty the rules are clear."

"Well, the devil with Barty and his rules. And since when did you accommodate them?"

Severus stepped forward. His suspicious nature didn't allow him to sit back quietly. "Headmaster, I too find it difficult to believe this mere coincidence, if we are to truly discover the meaning of these events perhaps we should for the time being let them unfold."

"Do nothing?? Offer him up as bait? Potter is a boy, not a piece  of meat, Severus." Minerva scolded him as if he were your age. Luckily,  Dumbledore came to his defense before he became upset.

"I agree with Severus. Alastor, keep an eye on Harry will you?"

"I can do that." Alastor nodded and everyone began to file out of the room.

"Don't let him know though, he must be anxious enough as it is... knowing what lies ahead. Then again, we are all anxious." Albus stayed. "Oh, Esmeralda, please do stay darling." Both you and Severus paused. "Just Esmeralda. Thank you."

With a nod, Severus fluttered away like a bat. Once the door shut, you opened your mouth to speak. "I have a question."

"I figured you might. Chocolate frog? Or are you still getting sick off of them to bribe your students to good behavior?" Dumbledore chuckled.

"Yes, please. And not so much, I've garnered more respect." You smiled. "Do I tell Severus about you putting me to this?"

"I figure that would be your decision. It makes little difference either way if the result is the same, no?"

"Karkaroff is interested in me as well." You mentioned as you took the candy from the headmaster. "Rather interesting..."

"You are like your aunts. You are drawn to dark men. Your sister took after your mother, more so."

"I'm not like Aunt Cissy and Bella. They're drawn to darkness themselves." You scowled. "I have absolutely no interest in anything but defeating this darkness."

"That is true and to say you are like Bellatrix is indeed, a false statement. But Narcissa... she may be more amenable depending on the stakes."

"What do you mean?"

"If the opportunity should arise, Narcissa may come to help her family. And that includes you."

"The last time that I saw her, she called me dirty blooded." You sighed. "If I had bothered to stay, she might have started in on my poor mother. But fine, Headmaster, I will keep it in mind." There was a pause in the conversation. "Am I doing the right thing with Severus?"

"What do you mean?" Dumbledore chewed on a chocolate frog as well.

"Perhaps he only needs friends. Is there a reason that you insisted on a romance?"

"Perhaps I am bored in my senior years and I like to watch young love blossom. Or I know that with love comes friendships." He smiled all-knowingly. Perhaps he did know best.