128: Tribute

"Much further, is it?" Dolores inquired prickly as ever.

"Oh, yes. It's very well hidden." Harry nodded and looked at you as you continued to wander around for a while in silence. Without warning, an arrow suddenly landed in the ground next to your group. Everyone stopped, as about fifty Centaurs emerged from the underbrush.

Magorian looked you in the eyes. "What are you doing in our forest?

Umbridge was personally offended, of course. "Your forest? This forest belongs to the Ministry of Magic!" Magorian, however, hadn't even looked at her. You glanced your eyes at the pink-clad woman, and then nodded. The centaurs moved closer. "Stay back, you beasts!" The colony began to howl with rage at the demeaning woman. They begin to nock and draw their bows. "You cannot attack me! Any attack on a wizard by a half−breed—"

"Which they are technically not." You muttered. "Please, Dolores, do not anger them."

"You dare to insult us?" Magorian was not one to insult; you knew that. Umbridge pointed her wand at him, though it was shaking in her hands. "Come no closer!"

"Dolores, don't." You stood in front of Potter, but made no move to raise your wand as well. Magorian reared up on his hind−legs and beat his chest.

"Incarcerus!" Dolores cursed the Centaur and ropes flew from her wand and wrapped themselves around Magorian. The Centaurs charged Dolores as you leaped behind a tree with Harry. It's easy to hear her scream, as the centaurs surrounded her. "Ingrates! Animals! Filthy half−bloods! Professor Snape! Professor, help!"

There was a horrible blasting sound as Dolores screamed again. Ronan appeared behind you and the boy.

"What of these two?" He asked Magorian.

"Tribute has been paid." He nodded. And without another word, the colony left, with Dolores in their grip.

Harry sat and gazed forward at it all. He mentioned how he was surprised that the plan had worked, and how happy he was for you to have known the Centaurs. You nodded and rubbed his shoulder. He was shaking and it made you feel bad for him. Just a child, you had muttered to yourself a few times. It was a reminder; one you felt was important. It was important to remember that the boy-who-lived was just that: a boy. Hard enough for an adult such as yourself to do, you couldn't imagine the toll it took on Harry. Harry asked if you knew Magorian, to which you replied that you both did and did not. You had met him a numerous amount of times, but you did not know much about him. There was another question hidden beneath that one, however, one you answered as well. The Centaurs would not kill her; but they certainly would not make her life one worth living. Did that bother him?

No. It did not. It bothered a grand total of zero people. Sometimes, you told him, people did get what they deserved. But that, in itself, was a rarity.