155: A Fatal Misunderstanding

Slowly and without intent, Dumbledore drew his wand. Drawing a counter-spell from Draco immediately. "Expelliarumus!" And you heard Albus' wand fly free, clattering across the floor and out of the old man's reach.

"Well done, Draco. But I warn you... Killing is not nearly as easy." The words sat in your heart as unvoiced sobs. You knew they would come, simply hoping that it would be alone or with you husband, who you knew would be absolutely devastated. You wondered if Harry had been able to find him. "You're not alone, are you? There are others... How?"

"The Vanishing Cabinet in the Room of Requirement."

"That cabinet has been broken for years."

"I've been mending it."

"Ingenious. Let me guess. It has a sister. A twin."

"In Borgin & Burkes. They form--"

"A passage, yes. Very good." Dumbledore's voice turned into the story mode you knew well after all these years. "I once knew a boy years ago who made all the wrong choices. Let me help you, Draco."

Your cousin screeched and you felt a pain for him. He didn't want to do it. "I don't want your help! Don't you see! I have to do it! I have to!" The screech faded to a whisper, "I've got to kill you or he'll kill me." Draco was terrified.

"Say that again, Draco. But aloud this time." Slowly, Bellatrix opened the door. You watched as Draco looked deep into his headmaster's eyes. His wand-wielding hand trembled. Slowly, to your amazement, Draco Malfoy began to lower his wand. That was, of course, when your dear auntie Bellatrix spoke up. You thought quiet within even your own mind that if there had ever been a time that you were going to use an unforgivable curse, it would have been right now, to stop Bellatrix from turning your poor, sniveling, weasel-y cousin into a murderer.

But you didn't.

"Well now, look what we have here. Dumbledore, wandless and alone. Cornered in his own castle. Well done, Draco."

"Good evening, Bellatrix. I think introductions are in order." Dumbledore joked, moderately inappropriately.

"Love to, Albus. But I'm afraid we're on a bit of a tight schedule." She turned to Draco. "Do it."

Draco's wand rose once again, sinking your heart. Your bat ears heard almost silent steps. "He doesn't have the stomach. Like his father. Let me finish him. In my own way." Fenrir snarled, startling you and causing Draco's wand to dip. He was fighting an internal battle.

"No! The Dark Lord was clear. The boy's to do it. Go on, Draco." She screeched, highlighting that Draco had definitely gotten the sound from the Black side of his family. "Now!" Once again Draco raises his wand, his hand trembling.

"No..." Severus' voice rang out and his heart sank at the sight of you and you were so happy to hear he had arrived. He would save Albus, you were sure of it.

"Severus..." Albus croaked and looked relieved.

Your aunt cackled at your husband's arrival. She must not have expected him. "Well, look who's here. Hogwarts own Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. Come to see the slaughter?"

"Severus... please." Tears gathered in the corners of your eyes and your whole body shook, trying to repress the colors wanting to escape out of you.

"I gave my word. I made a vow..." Your eyes darted back and forth frantically, trying to make sense of the scene playing out in front of you. It almost seemed as if Severus wasn't here to save Albus. It almost seemed as if he was going to-- "Avada Kedavra!"