103: The Wrong People Always Perish

You and your husband stood in front of Dumbledore with concern written on all three of your faces.

"You both must be prepared. I must step back from this position quickly and with precision. Even then, I still may have to take a leave of absence if things do not go perfectly to plan." The old wizard warned you. "She hasn't taken much of a liking to our Professor Tonks, here, but I believe she will find you very useful, Severus."

"How so?" Severus asked, although he likely already had a quite accurate idea.

"She is the type of Minister that is... rather old-school if you will. She will get answers one way or another."

"And potions are a simple way to do that." Severus nodded.

"She is dark. So you cannot," He looked directly at you, "I repeat, cannot, be her enemy. Do I make myself clear?"

"But she is so... awful!" You whined as you explored the office for a snack. Severus looked at you strangely until he saw Dumbledore toss you a package of Bernie Bott's Every Flavor Beans. "I don't know how I'll survive."

"Put your proper Black expression on," Dumbledore laughed. "The aristocracy is wonderful at hiding their true selves." You laughed out loud and offered Severus some candy. He refused. "You won't be able to convince her. Her or most others. As Robert A. Heinlein once said: You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic."

"Most people listen with the intent to reply, not to understand." Severus popped into the conversation. "And a divided people are easier to distract from the truth. They refuse to acknowledge the Dark Lord is back. You will see soon, my love that when fear is the driver, it will pick up hate and make it its passenger."

"I have never been so pleased of my own meddlings." Dumbledore chuckled. "It almost makes the future even harder to swallow. At least we got to experience your marriage together."

"So what you are both saying to to leave those who have fallen to the wrong side to die there?"

"Dear, there is no need to "save" the right or wrong side. Merely save each other, because in saving each other, we will save our home." Dumbledore's words flowed over you.

"So if I can save someone, do it, regardless of side?" You rolled your eyes back, overwhelmed.

"Yes, I know it is a lot. But you will find that during a war, all of the wrong people perish." The words weighed heavily on your shoulders. War always meant casualties. You could only dream that those you cared about would be spared. "Do tell me though, how are your new quarters?"

"Wonderful, Albus." Severus answered, rubbing your shoulder affectionately.

"The included lavatory is the best part." You nodded as the two men laughed. "What!? I hated going down the hallway to the loo!"