63: Grow

"You know, this doesn't deter me." Karkaroff's voice interrupted Severus' thoughts and your lack of thoughts. "She may favor you now, but women are fickle like the weather here. I can be patient."

"You shan't have her. She is no possession." Severus hardly lifted his lips from yours to speak.

"I never said she was. Only that you must be on your best game, my friend! Now that I know she's willing, I'm more than happy to try harder to woo such a beautiful metamorphmagus."

Severus growled under his breath. Why was Igor being so irritating? All the other teachers left you both alone, even the more meddling ones. Did Igor believe in love at first sight? Did he have an obsession with you?

"Esmeralda, dear," You flushed lilac at the words, "Join me in my quarters? It's rather... dull in here."

"Yeah, okay." You swooned at Severus' words, inhibitions vastly lowered. And with that, Severus gave a slight bow with a smirk to Karkaroff, took you by the hand and led you away.

"A real man would not take advantage of a drunk young lady!" Karkaroff called out.

Severus rolled his eyes. "I'm just taking you away from him, do not fret."

"I didn't." You hiccuped to a dark green and back.

"It's... cute."

"What is?"

Severus paused, unsure of any way to explain. "You."

You blushed and smiled dumbly. "Aw. Thanks, Severus."

He smiled, having had his compliment accepted and continued on his way. It didn't take long for you both to arrive at his quarters. But having arrived there, you were at a loss for what to do next. "Perhaps..." Severus began. "We... could listen to music?"

"Anything you like, Severus." You smiled happily at him.

There is so much more I would like... The dark man thought to himself. Like to continue what was begun. He sat down on the plush chair that he had reclined in when he had received your first birthday present. The following years gifts had always been bestowed in his classroom, but he would never forget that first year.

This year would be different. You weren't kneeling before him, presenting a thoughtful gift. You were now sitting atop Severus' lap with your legs tossed over his lap. As you looked into his eyes, you wanted to tell him. You wanted to let him know that this was your real feelings; even if you had been asked by Dumbledore to  try and garner favor with the potions professor. Instead, you asked him a question.

"Severus." Your slightly alcoholic breath left him feeling dizzy.

"Yes, dear?" His monotone, rolling voice washed over you like a comforting dark cloud.

"You like me too, right?" Your eyes looked deep into his own and shone your true color.

He paused for a minute. To admit it straight out would be to reject the love of his life, right? If he were to say yes, that he did have feelings for you as well, would it tarnish her pure memory further?

"I can't give her up." He muttered.

"That's why hearts grow." Your body turned a deep cinnamon color all over, as you reminisced. "You never stop loving someone; your heart grows to let new people in."

"Even mine?" Severus stroked your face softly.

"Especially yours." And it was sealed with a kiss.