104: Minerva Sympathizes

"Don't let it bother you, deary," Minerva comforted you as you hashed out your vexations regarding Dolores. "You know, I was married once. I didn't change my name."

"Really?!" Your eyes perked up to a silver color, you felt hopeful. "And no one was strange about it? Did Dumbledore announce your wedding as well?"

"To the faculty, yes. But not the students... you see, he was not a professor. We lived in a small cottage close to Hogwarts, so there was no reason for the students to interact with him."

"What was his name? Did you two..." you turned periwinkle out of nervousness, "divorce?"

"Elphistone Urquart. You see why I didn't want his last name!" She laughed. "He died in 1985 after a Venomous Tentacula bite... It is okay now... I've had a few lost loves."

Suddenly, a loud bang turned you white as Harry practically kicked open the door to Minerva's office. Harry stomped in and handed the note to the older witch. She took it and glanced at it.

"Is this true? Did you shout at Madame Umbridge?" She looked sympathetic.

"Yeah. But she called me a liar!" You could tell the boy was upset and you sat on Minerva's desk to listen to him.

"My dear boy, do use your common sense! Umbridge is reporting directly to Minister Fudge. She is here to...interfere...with Dumbledore. And things could get much worse, trust me." You nodded in agreement. "Use caution, always, Potter. Do not mess with Dolores Umbridge, she is dangerous. The Order's hands are tied at Hogwarts, Harry. If you get too deep into trouble, we may not be able to get you out. Do you understand?"

"Yes, Professor. One more thing though... when I was in her office, she reached out and touched my hand. Instantly, pain exploded in my scar... it felt like... like the Dark Lord was there."

"You will come to find, Harry," You stood up and put an arm around his shoulder, leading him to the door. "Some people will become dark. But others are born dark. That slime is likely just that. Bad to the pink and fuzzy bone."

"I've heard rumors... that Dumbledore might not be in charge here much longer... What does that mean?"

"It doesn't surprise me. Fudge wants Dumbledore out." Minerva responded.

"But why?"

"He's worried Dumbledore is trying to turn the students against the Ministry."

"Hermione was right... that would explain why Umbridge isn't teaching us anything useful in Defense Against the Dark Arts."

"Exactly. The Ministry doesn't want you training in combat." You responded back.

"What does he think Dumbledore is going to do, raise an army?"

"That's exactly what he's worried about. Fudge is getting more paranoid about Dumbledore every day. Now if you were to do that in his stead..." Minerva brainstormed. "I certainly would be able to look the other way... As is Professor Tonks." You agreed non-verbally.

"Professors...what do you know about Umbridge?"

"According to the centaurs, she's a nasty piece of work. Apparently, she hates part−humans, which I can tell from the curriculum she strongly suggested I teach."

"Could she be a Death Eater?"

You knew without a doubt that she was not, but left it for Minerva to explain.

"The Order seriously doubts it. She's no picnic, but she's no Death Eater either. You will know when you encounter one of those... if you haven't already."

"But she is evil."

"The world isn't split into the Order and the Death Eaters, Harry. Nor is it split into good and evil. Some wizards and witches may appear to be light, but end up betraying those closest to you. You may be familiar with that..." You tapped his forehead. "Others seem as dark as they come, but end up being the most true-hearted of all." You tapped your heart. "I know that."

Harry stood back, looking unsatisfied.

"But that is enough philosophy for today." Minerva waved him out. "No points from Gryffindor, clearly. Off you go."

And off he went.