61: Introductions, Yet Again

"Your attention please! I would like to say a few words. Eternal glory, that is what awaits the student who wins the tri-wizard tournament. But to do this that student must survive three tasks. Three extremely dangerous tasks."

"Can't believe they've brought this back." Rolanda shook her head.

"For this reason the ministry has seen fit to impose a new rule. To explain all this we have the head of the department of international magic cooperation Mister Bartimus Crouch."

Thunder roared overhead and rain began leaking through the roof as screams broke out. You see a very strange man standing in the doorway, as he casts some magic upwards and seals the roof. Almost instantly, people relax.

"That must be the Defense Against the Dark Arts professor. Do you know him, Severus?"

"Alastor Moody; a ministry catcher. Half the cells in Azkaban are his work. Supposedly mad as a hatter these days."

He limped up to Dumbledore who greeted him warmly. "My dear old friend, thanks for coming."

Moody's mechanical eye whizzed around as he grumbled. "That stupid roof."

Minister Crouch cleared his throat and began. "After much deliberation the ministry has concluded that for their own safety no student under the age of seventeen shall be allowed to put forth their name for the tri-wizard tournament. This decision is final."

The crowd quickly became unsettled, with loud boos erupting.

Dumbledore would have none of it. He very much approved of these rules. "Silence!" He waved his wand over a box as it melded into a goblet containing a blue flame. It was beautiful. "The goblet of fire. Anyone wishing to submit themselves for the tournament merely write their name upon a piece of parchment and throw it in the flame before this hour on Thursday night. Do not do so lightly, if chosen there's no turning back. As from this moment the tri-wizard tournament has begun."

Eventually, the jubilation returned and everyone was able to carry on eating and making merry.

"You are a new teacher, no?" A voice as deep as Severus' but with a different timbre rang in your ears.

"Me?" You looked up with a mouthful of pie. The man, Karkaroff you noticed, gave a deep rumble of a laugh. You had to admit, he was handsome in his own way. Similar to your dark, grumbling man beside you.

"Yes you, puișor." You looked at Rolanda and she gave off fierce 'I have no clue' eyes.

"Not that new... This is my fourth year." If you had turned, you would have seen the deadly glare Severus was serving Karkaroff. But you didn't. You listened to the man in front of you.

"New to me, though, and that is what matters. What may I call you?" Once again, you had another mouthful of pie in your mouth and it almost made Severus break his scowl and laugh. Was the pie really so good it couldn't wait?

"Professor Tonks?" You swallowed and spoke.

"But this sweet lady next to you, she calls you another name, no?"

"No?" You were entirely confused.

"Her name is Esmeralda and you may call her Professor Tonks, Headmaster Karkaroff." Severus' voice finally spoke up. "As you are newly acquainted."