72: A Visit

Severus clutched the singular rose in his hand. This is moronic, he thought, there's no way she'll agree. This rose was an idiotic idea, we're not children. He froze in place as his free hand gripped the door knob to the female professors' quarters. Shutting his eyes, he thought back to the all the recent days he'd spent laughing, smiling with you. You'd given him the one thing he thought he'd never see again after losing Lily. You'd been there for him, always supporting him, hearing him, you were his light and he wanted nothing more than to extend the favor back to you by asking you to be his significant other. But was that even still in style? Did people not just go on dates until they decided to marry? It seemed like it and he felt rather old-fashioned. Years had gone by with Lily and not once did he ever consider actually putting any of his plans into action, finally asking her out after pining over her for so long. He just never felt it right, never got over the fear of rejection. Yet, here he was, not worrying about a rejection, but about your opinion of him. Even if you said yes, he'd worry if you had done it out of obligation.

It had to be some miracle he'd managed to find someone else, someone he could see a clear future with. It was up to him now to take hold of the gift he'd been given and never let go. He couldn't let you slip from his fingers, not like he had with Lily. With a heavy breath, Severus twisted open the door and made his way up to your quarters, where you two had agreed to meet. He'd never felt so nervous in his life. He was putting himself out there, something he wouldn't have dared to do before he met you.

Slowly walking up the stairs, he thought over what he was going to say to you; how he would hand you the rose and ask you to be his and his alone. He was so afraid of your response. What if she laughs at me? I'll lose all my nerves.

You'd grown so close in such a short period of time; only four years. He was sure the step he was about to take would weigh in his favor, not only because of the way you'd smile up at him, but the way you interacted together. Surely it wasn't just a passing infatuation with him. The way your eyes twinkled with the evening stars when you had read together, your touch so light, almost heaven-like. He wanted to experience it over and over again.

Eventually, he found himself only a few steps away from the door, but something, or rather the sound of someone, caused him to stop. He quickly took a step back, letting the height of the staircase hide his slim figure as he watched the unexpected stranger approach his destination. It was that Durmstrang Headmaster, Igor Karkaroff. What was he doing here? Severus watched as Karkaroff walked up to your door and knocked.