Still Minding Y(our) Business

The next morning, I was all sprawled out on the bed, like a crooked starfish. I hadn't been able to spread my limbs out in a few days, since Cam volunteered to sleep next to me. It felt kinda weird to have that extra space. I know we both decided that I was well enough to get a good night's rest without any sleep aids, but I still felt strange. Co-sleeping with her made me feel like I was at a sleepover-- it was fun. One night, I made her tell me a story, and another, we talked about anything we could think of, until we fell asleep. But on another night, she came in after going somewhere with Tracey, and fell asleep right away. So, technically, she still owes me one night of co-sleeping, as the purpose behind it, was to put me to sleep. I guess I was happy for Cam, though. She had finally reunited with her body pillow, free to move to wherever she pleased, without another body to block her path.

I looked down at my phone and saw that it was just a few minutes before nine o' clock. I turn my alarm off, impressed that I had woken up on my own accord. Then I looked over on Cam's side of the room, to see what she was doing. She, too, was awake. She was on her phone, probably not even aware that I was awake, yet. She was laying down on her back, with her phone above her face. Judging by how she was holding this phone-- with both hands-- I assumed that she was texting somebody. I wondered who it was. Maybe it was Bridget. They were always in communication. Actually, it was probably Kleo. Toxic couples can never manage to break away from each other, it seemed. Just then, I thought of how Cam and Tracey weren't talking. I wasn't all the way sure that they had completely cut off their communication, but it would make sense if they did. Ever since I'd met Trae, she'd had Cam's name in her mouth. But, yesterday there was almost no mention of her. And Alexis had told me that Tracey had been walking around, seemingly depressed for a few days. Considering Trae and Cam had gone somewhere together recently, I figured that whatever happened, happened then. Me and Alexis had already decided that we would get our respective roomies to spill the beans. So, now I had to find out a way to get Cam talking. Immediately I groan out loud, at the fact that I have classes to get through today. I actually didn't really mind going-- I had been holed up in my room for most of this week. I was just more interested in getting to the bottom of the drama between my friends. I would have to try my best not to let this stuff distract me while I was in class.

I noticed that Cam looked over at me after hearing me groan. "Morning." I say, rubbing my eyes.

"Hey. How you feeling?" she responds.

"Meh."

"What happened? Still having issues sleeping?" she asked, concerned.

"No, I slept fine. I just missed you." I admitted.

She chuckles. "Well, you go on and keep missing me, 'til the next time you get bad cramps. I'm not about to put up with you putting various body parts all on me, if I don't have to." she replies. I gasp. "I don't move that much." She lifted her head up just to look at me crazy. I crack up. "You're so dramatic for no reason. Maybe my arm landed on top of yours one time. Oooh, big deal." I say.

"If it was just your arms, it wouldn't be so bad. I'm talking about your legs! I don't remember a single day where you didn't jolt me out of my sleep after kneeing me in my back."

"You'll live. And you're lucky I didn't fire you, while you talkin' shit."

She laughs in disbelief. "Fire me? What are you talking about?"

"'Cause you slacked on your job. You did good for two of the three days we shared the bed."

"What did I do different, on that one day?" she asked.

"You came back from wherever you went with Trae, and fell right asleep. Poor me had to figure out a way to make myself fall asleep. Which, I did, thank you very much."

"By doing what?"

"Texting KP about the greatness of Amy Winehouse."

She snickers. "You swear you're me, trying to put somebody else on to music."

I furrow my brows. "What, you jealous that I'm sharing a musical bond with somebody else? All you had to do was say you wanted me to put you on, too." I say.

When she smacks her teeth, I crack up.

"Let me quit playing." I say, sitting up. "Can I ask you something?"

"Yeah, what's up?"

"You and Trae... what happened?"

She furrows her brow. "What do you mean, what happened? We cool."

I rolled my eyes. "You're not. You would've jumped at the chance to be in the same room as Alexis. All of a sudden, you decided to finally respect her boundaries? She don't think she cute no more, you hurting her feelings." I fib.

She laughs. "Shut up."

"Seriously, though... what happened?"

"I am being serious. Nothing bad happened. Me and Trae went to the Adventure Park. Had fun. We talked for a little bit. That's it."

I furrowed my eyebrows. "So, how come you ain't come to the room, yesterday?"

"'Cause I already had plans... I told you that. I went to go see Kleo." she says, smirking. She did say that, but she never told me with who. And it wasn't really like she had to tell me-- I wasn't her mama, nor her girl.

"Is... is she saying that there's problems between us?" she asked.

"No, she didn't say anything at all."

"Oh. How come you're asking me about her?"

"'Cause I'm nosy." I admit, leaving out the true reason. I mean, yeah, I was nosy. But the real reason I asked was to see if I could get to the bottom of why Tracey was so... meh, yesterday. According to Cam, nothing had really even popped off. So what the fuck was going on?

Now that I suspected Cam was telling the truth, I decided I would get the tea from Tracey, myself. Luckily for me, I had plenty of opportunity to discuss it with her, today. I just had to think of how to use it to my advantage.