Stan Wars

"That was probably the first heartbreak I've ever experienced, honestly." I tell her. "I can't listen to her music without being sad, but it's so good."

She smiles. "I know exactly how you feel. Kinda."
Cam and I had been hanging out in our room, on my bed. After I blared Amy Winehouse's Rehab through the room, we started talking about music. She got into one of her many spiels of why she loves Selena. I told her that I wasn't into Selena as much, as I invested all my time into listening to Amy. Then she asked me how I even found out about the woman— as everyone was way more familiar with Selena, prompting me to go into my spiel.

"What you mean, kinda?" I ask her.
"Well, Selena's music makes me sad 'cause she's dead. Like, she had so much more left to give, she just didn't get a chance to. But most of her stuff is upbeat and happy."
"Oh, yeah, I see what you mean. Amy's music is... haunting. She was miserable and it seeped through her music. But she still made it sound so beautiful."
"Oh, okay." she says. I look at my phone and pick out the Back to Black album. It was time to get her more familiar with Amy's music. "There's nobody on the face of the earth that doesn't know who Amy is, except you. And being that you're my best friend, that is unacceptable. So... we listening to the album that solidified my standom."

She chuckles. "I know who she is, I just don't know her music like that. If that last song is any indicator on what her music sounds like, I'm sure it's cool. But I told you, all that depressing shit is not really my thing." I gasped at her for saying that, but wind up agreeing that Amy's music was depressing. "Her music is a bunch of depressing shit, Cam, but it's beautiful depressing shit. You're bound to find something you love about it. You're into instrumentals, right?" I ask.

"Yeah, but I don't see how—"
"If you don't fall in love with the album by the next three songs, I'll turn it off, no questions asked. I promise." I interrupted.
"Fine, Gwen. Fine." she concedes.
I squeal in excitement and play the second song off the album— You Know I'm No Good. Once again, the room was filled with the noise of seemingly a million instruments, coming together in harmony. It made me make the stank face, as always. I bopped my head along to it, glancing at Cam, who isn't yet impressed. She wasn't about to spoil my listening experience. When the instrumental break comes up near the end of the song, I close my eyes and imagine I was there, in front of a crowd, playing the instruments. That was my absolute favorite part of the song. I felt the music touch my spirit, just as intensely as it did the very first time I listened to it. That was my favorite part of listening to her music-- it always hit the same. Before I know it, the song ends, and I realize where I am and what I'm doing. I looked back at Cam. "So...?" I ask.
"It was cool, I liked it." she says, but not with the amount of excitement I needed her to have.
"I thought for sure that would hook you! But that's cool, let's jump to the next one."
"Alright." she says, leaning back against the wall. I turn to the next song, which is called Me & Mr. Jones. Immediately, she seems to be intrigued by the oldies inspired instrumental. "It sounds like something my grandparents probably danced to."
"Yeah, she's inspired by all that. You feel like you're in 1960, which is either a good or bad thing, depending on who you ask." I see Cam kind of bopping along, which made me smile. Yes! My plan was working! When the song is over, Cam admits she really liked some elements of the song, namely the instrumental. "That was nice. But maybe I'm just not as in-"
"Next song!" I said, talking over her. I still had one more song before we cut it off, anyways. "Gwen, I gotta go, forreal. Kl-" I interrupt her by placing a single index finger directly on top of her lips. I queue up the next song, Just Friends. "Did you just-?" she asked, dumbfounded.
"I did." I say with a smirk, as the opening notes of the song plays. Confident that she'd do nothing about me physically shushing her, I turned away from her and let my ears absorb every note of the song. It wasn't my favorite by a long shot, but I still loved it. Considering where my love of this song came from, it was kind of weird that I liked it at all. I played this song over and over again right after I found out about Marcus and Megan. When it finished, I looked back at Cam to see what she thought of this last song. I awaited her verdict like I was auditioning for a gig. If she didn't like it, I'd have to just accept it... for now. I'd just have to badger her about this whole thing, some other time. Her eyes are trained on on her phone screen, her fingers moving a mile a minute. When she finishes, she puts it down and looks at me with a neutral expression. "Put the next song on."
"Really?" I asked. "You wanna hear more?"
"Yeah, I'm invested now."
"Alright." I said, trying to pretend I wasn't completely psyched.
When I turned back around to my phone, I secretly celebrated my victory.

So, we ended up listening to the whole album. It was fun to toss our opinions about the songs back and forth. After the last song ended, she picks up her phone, reads her text, and rolls her eyes. "You're lucky I love you and risked my life staying here, listening to this white woman's problems." she grumbles at me. "I'm late for my date with Kleo, now. She on this phone, talking crazy."
I gasped. "If you would've told me y'all had a date, I would've understood."
"You wouldn't even let me get it out." she countered.
I thought back to what all happened while we were listening to the album. I did shush her when she tried to say something. I gasped again. "My fault. Tell Kleo to blame it all on me." I say. Just then we hear a knock at the door. I go answer it, to apologize to her for holding Cam up. When I go to open the door, though, I was shocked by what I'd seen. She stood before me in a shimmery black dress, with her makeup on point! Her hair was now jet black, and she'd put some soft curls in it. The strappy black shoes she's wearing set off the whole outfit. "Hold on." I say, before even allowing her to step foot into the room. "Cam, how long did you say y'all been dating?" I ask. I turned in her direction, as she says two years. "...You've been on at least a few dates before, I'm assuming." I say.

"Yeah." she says, putting her shoes on.

"And she probably looks like this every time, no?"

"For the most part."

"You stupid." I say, with emphasis. How the fuck you holding up date night with her, to play around with me? Bitch, if the roles were reversed, I would just have to beg Cam for forgiveness for leaving her in the midst of tryna show me something.

"You can come in, Kleo." I say, and she walks into the room.

When I see the back view, my mouth dropped. Kleo was carrying a wagon! The dress really accentuated this. Cam really was tripping, listening to my ass go off about why I loved somebody's music, when she could be spending time with her very hot girlfriend.

When she starts to question Cam about what was taking her so long, I step in, like I meant to do at the door. I was just so blown away by how good she looked today, that I completely forgot. "Oh, don't go in too bad on Cam." I begin. "She only stayed behind 'cause I forced her. She was trying to tell me she had something to do but I didn't listen. My fault."

She turns around and looks at me with an unimpressed look. "Don't cover for her."

"I'm not! It's the truth."

"So, what, you had a gun to her head?" she asks me.

"No." I answered.

"Oh, I see. So you... threatened to choke her, if she didn't stay behind with you."

"No." I say again.

"Sounds to me like she could've freely gotten her ass up and made her way to me."

"That's true." I say, louder than I intended to.

"Gwen!" Cam says.

"She ain't lying." I say.

She smacks her teeth and gathers herself, so she can get ready to leave. Then she secretly flips me off as they head out the door.

⭐️ Vote/Comment ⭐️