New School, New Me

"After we finish putting everything away, we need to find the cafeteria." exclaimed my mom. "I'm hungry." I agreed with her. To tell the truth, I'm pretty hungry myself. I didn't eat much breakfast this morning because I was too anxious about moving in. I was glad that I was getting a new start, though. I definitely needed it. Considering all the things that happened to me in the last couple years, I could use some fresh air, some time away from people who knew me. Now I could start from scratch. In high school I was fairly friendly, which afforded me to be able to get along with most people. Again, I was best friends with two of the most popular girls at school so I was respected just as much as they were. This time, though, I think I'm going to give all of that a rest. I picked up the last box and followed my parents into my new room. Unfortunately I would have to share, but I wasn't totally against the thought. It would be interesting, though, considering I have never had to share anything in my life by force. True, I did have the choice to be put into a single room, but my bank account forced me to choose a double-room. At least it was better than being in a room with two roommates. After sitting the last box on my bed, I looked at my new campus map.

I walked over to where my parents were and we all tried to figure out where we were. "Okay, we're in Greene Hall." I said.

"Okay, so it looks like the cafeteria  is right across from us." said my dad.

Instantly I got excited. With my appetite, I needed to be within reach of a cafeteria at all times!

"Good, let's go!" said my mom.

I let my parents walk ahead of me so I could lock the door. Then, we began to make way for the cafeteria. As we get closer and closer, I see a group of three girls loudly talking with each other. To be honest, I didn't understand why they were being so loud. It was only noon. What could have them so excited about life, that they couldn't talk about it at a reasonable noise level?

Finally, we walk inside the cafeteria. It was huge. Instantly, I felt nervous. The cafeteria was almost filled to capacity with people I didn't know. I ain't never liked a bunch of strange people around me. I had to admit, it was pretty nice, though. It would be a shame if the food didn't reflect how nice it looked in here. The wooden floors looked to have been freshly waxed, with a shitload of mahogany tables that seemed to go on forever. It smelled great, too. That took my mind off of how nervous I was. My parents and I stand in line and study the menu. "Why are the fries four damn dollars?" asked my mom in a hushed voice. My dad chuckled. "That's what they do, tax the food to hell. The school has to get their money somehow."

"I know those potatoes had better be peeled by Jesus himself." she said. Then she looked at me. "You okay, baby?" I didn't know the answer to that. "I think so. Why?"

"Well, normally you have a bunch of jokes for us and today you've barely said anything."

"Yeah," my dad cosigned. "You haven't said more than a few words at a time since we got here."

"Oh." I said, chuckling nervously. "Sorry. I guess I'm trying to take the scenery in. You know."

"You might need a little bit of time to yourself. Go find a seat and we'll just bring the food to you."

"Okay. I want a spicy chicken patty and waffle fries. And lemonade."

"We coulda went to Chic-Fil-A for all of that, but okay. We'll see you in a few." said my mom.

After that, I went and found a table by the windows. I didn't know why I had come down off of my high all of a sudden. Just a few weeks ago, I was excited at the thought of being in a new city. I wanted to get away from the old one. I experienced a lot of negative things, and no matter how much I wanted to forget about all that, I wasn't able to. I already miss Pierce and Vee. I missed Megan and Owen, and most of all Ti. Of course I missed her. I knew it would only get worse as time went on. In some ways, I feel like I'm abandoning her. I know I'm not with her anymore but the history... it's there...and it's pretty crazy. Not to mention, it is still fairly recent. I know I can't live my life worried about all that, though. Nah, I was gonna have to keep looking forward and try my damndest to make these next four years my bitch. Yeah, that's what I'll focus on. Soon enough, I was smiling to myself. As soon as I feel my mood shifting, all of a sudden I heard the group of girls again. To my chagrin, they had moved from being left of the entrance to almost directly behind me, probably readying themselves to come in the cafeteria. I was curious, though. How could I hear them through the glass? I turn around and glance at 'em for a second. It looks like the tall one is showing the rest of them something on her phone. Probably showing them some loser in her DMs trying to holla. I mean, although she was loud and annoying, I could see how one would find her attractive—especially if they hadn't heard her talk.

Just then, Megan texted me. Apparently her and Owen are a thing again these days. That's cute. That's real cute.

I replied to that message. 

If you mess this up again, I have to fight you.

I know I know lol - Megan&Owen4Ever

She knows I'm dead serious about it, too. Owen had become one of my good friends in the short time I had known him. Only God knows why Megan has a damn 2007 signature in the year of our lord 2017.

Just then, my parents come back with our food. I took a second to take it all in. And then I get to eating. It was so good I was falling in love with it.

"Okay, Gwen." my dad said. "Are you sure you don't want help with unpacking? 'Cause me and your mama can stay if you-"

"No, Dad. I got it. Y'all know how I am about where stuff goes."

My mom chuckles because she knows I got that attitude from her. "I've created a monster. Jesus, help us... and that roommate."

We all crack up, because my mom was right. I was willing to give this roomie stuff a fair chance but as soon as she lays a hand on any of my things, it's over for her.

"Okay, then, me and your Mom will start heading back, then."

"Cool, let me walk you to your car."

So, I followed them to the car.

We all did a group hug, and my mom's grip on me tightened.

"Ohhhh, I can't believe my baby is all grown up." my mom says, tearing up.

"You'd think it would be easier, but it's not. At all." said my dad.

I leaned into my parents even more. "Love y'all. See you in a few months." I said.

And with that, my parents got in their car, waved at me one last time, and left.

I bet my mom let the tears fall down her face before they even pulled out of the lot.

I know I did.