Bridging the Gap

Her blonde curls danced as she managed to grab a seat to Cam's immediate right. When they greeted each other in a friendly and familiar manner, my eyebrows instinctively went up. Seriously? A girl like Cam is friends with Bridget? Yikes.

"Hey, Bridget. This is my roommate Gwen." she says. I lean forward so I can see Bridget's face.

"Hey. Nice to meet you." I said, in a friendly tone, trying not to sound as disinterested as I really was .

"Hi. Nice to meet you, too." she says, with an ingenuine smile, before looking at Cam and blabbering about whatever issue she's facing. Maybe her sandwiches weren't completely crust free as she normally likes it. Maybe daddy was being a fat meanie and not buying her a cute baby tiger to show off in her bag. The girl is Legally Blonde, reincarnated, I swear. I didn't understand why she was in here, but apparently the girl uses her brain, sometimes. That was good, I guess.

The whole hour consisted of this professor going through her expectations of what will happen this semester, just as my first one did. All through the class, Cam was talking to me, and then forced to talk to Bridget, as it would appear she is a very jealous friend. She's just a mess.

I know you're not supposed to judge people you don't know, but I just don't have good feelings about her. I didn't know what it was, but I didn't care enough to find out. I just wanted her to not be around me, at all. Once class was over, I threw the peace sign up to Cam to let her know I was out, so I could leave her to be victimized by Bridget.

"Where you going? Back to the room?" she asked?

"Yeah." I responded.

"Cool, I'll just walk with you, then." she says.

"Okay, I'll be right outside." I said, picking up my phone and responding to my mom's text. I had found a spot to stand in immediately outside of the building. My mom was asking me about how my first day of college was going. I replied back to her real quick. I didn't feel like doing a whole bunch of talking today. I didn't even know why I was talking to everybody, now. I'm already breaking my self-implemented rule-- don't get close with anyone. What was I gonna do now, tell them I don't wanna talk anymore? I mean, two friends can't hurt. Right? A few minutes later, Miss Popular comes out of the classroom and meets me outside of the building. As we start walking together, she lets out a frustrated sigh. "I swear, man. Other people are exhausting. You ever felt like that, Gwen?"

"What? Drained after speaking with somebody? Yeah." I replied, searching her face for a reaction.

"What do you do to deal with that?"

"Um... sleep. I take a nap and then my energy is back. Orrr you can just tell everyone to fuck off. That is also an option." I say.

Cam smiles. "I don't know what it is, but every time I talk with Bridget, I'm just so drained."

I shrug. "Either tell her to back off or deal with it."

"I don't wanna do either of those things." she said.

I stopped. "Wait... you actually like her?"

Cam turns around to face me once she realized she was two steps ahead. "We've been best friends since we were six. There's history there."

"You've been dealing with her since you were six? I hope she wasn't acting all extra that whole time." I said, starting to walk again.

"Mmm, nah. I'd say around thirteen she started this whole charade. Her parents divorced and everything and pops feels guilty for it. So, he buys her things to overcompensate, if you hadn't noticed before."

"How can you be around that for so long? She seems kind of... bitchy. No offense, I know she's your friend."

"Oh, please. She's a complete bitch. We've done more arguing than getting along these past few years. But that's how we know we're real best friends. We argue all the time, but we know the love is there."