Better Days

The next morning, I woke up first. I jump slightly when I see Cam, but I remember our sleeping arrangements. I slept through the night once again. I also felt better than I had, all week. The nausea was present, but it wasn't nearly as strong as it was. I was probably just hungry, which was a feeling I hadn't felt in days. The cramps were still bad, but I was just so glad I was finally getting over how horrible I had been feeling. The worst part about it was, I hadn't started actually bleeding—my body just likes to torture me before I get to that part.

But Cam, she was still sound asleep. It looked like she had a smile on her face or something. She must've been dreaming about something pretty good 'cause when she got back to the room yesterday, she wasn't smiling. I wouldn't say she was sad, but something was off, and my nosey ass wanted to know. Unfortunately, Cam wasn't ready to talk about it, so I'll have to wait.

I stare her in the face as she softly whistles every time she exhales. I check my phone to see what time it was— 9:30. I think Cam had to be to class in about an hour and a half. I decided that I'd go ahead and get myself together, to give her another thirty or so minutes to sleep. I couldn't guarantee that she wouldn't kill me for not waking her up as soon as I woke up. The reason I didn't wake her up right away is 'cause I needed this bit of time to myself, so she would know I was indeed able to move all four of my limbs with no help. I felt okay enough to move around, even more than I did, yesterday. As a matter of fact, I think I'll be the one to bring her breakfast. After all, she wasn't gonna have enough time to go to the cafe, herself.

I carefully removed myself from the bed, tiptoeing around the room so I wouldn't wake her.

A short while later, I stepped foot into the cafeteria. I ordered the food and stood aside, and waved Tracey over when she was dumping her tray. "Hey! Feeling better, I hope." she says, coming in for a hug. "Yeah. I'm not all the way together, but..." I trailed off.
"I guess I gotta tell Kemp you're still sick, eh?" she asks. "I already emailed him but if you could get the homework for me, that'd be fire."
"You got it." she says. Just then, I noticed her hair was back to its normal state. "You got tired of having them big ass curls, huh?" I asked. She chuckles. "Yeah, I... I decided it wasn't something I wanted anymore."
I nodded my head in agreement. I wanted my old hair back too, but I decided to keep the press-out for another week. I put too much work into my hair to just erase it so soon. "So, you think you'll feel good enough to meet here later, for dinner?" she asks. "I can't promise anything, but we can definitely eat together.... Ooh!" I exclaim. "How about you just come to the room tonight?"
She chews on her lip with an unreadable expression. "Mmm.... can we meet in mine? We can just order somethin' and catch a crime TV marathon." she says. "Sounds good. Want me to tell Cam?" I ask.
"Nope, I got it." she answered quickly. Then she glances at her watch. "Ooh, I gotta go." she says, turning to leave. "Don't forget, meet me in my room at 6!" she yells. I turn around once the man calls my order number. After being handed a big carryout bag with our food, I walk back outside where I encountered KP.

"Gwen, what are you doing out of bed?" she asks me, with a hint of concern in her voice. "I just got up to get breakfast. That's all." I say. I start walking and she walks along with me. "Not that I mind your company, but don't you have class right now?" I ask. "Yeah, but I just wanna make sure you make it back safe." she says. We both cackle at that lame ass excuse. My dorm was right next to the damn cafeteria—it was only across the way. I thought it was sweet of her to walk me back, no matter how unnecessary I felt it was.
I get back to my room, surprised to find Cam still asleep. She must've been wiped the hell out last night. I guess that explains why she fell asleep first.

I go over and shake her awake. "Time to get up, Cam." I say. "Lowkey, it's been time to wake you up." I say under my breath. Finally, she starts moving around in the bed. She rooted around for her phone, still half asleep. When she saw the time she gasped, springing right up. "Why didn't you wake me up earlier?" she asks, after noticing I was up and already dressed.
"'Cause you needed the rest, and of that I'm sure. Lucky for you I'm a great friend and picked you up some breakfast to save you a trip to the cafe. So... we can argue about why I let you sleep and waste more time, or you can focus on getting ready." I say, winking.
She smacks her teeth and makes her way across the room. "I suppose you feel okay, then, since you're back to overloading me with your smartassery." she says, swinging her closet door open. I meow like a ferocious cat, clawing the air in Cam's direction when I recognize that she really was in a sour mood. I was at my desk, eating my bacon, egg, and cheese bagel while I watched her rush to get dressed. The shit was hilarious, even more so because she was pissed at me.
"Cam." I say, stifling my laugh. No answer, just more grumbling. "Cam! You mad, forreal?" I ask, looking at her. "You know I don't play about being on time to my classes."
"Oh my God, I am so sorry I wanted to let you get a couple extra fuckin' minutes of sleep. I'll never do it again." I say, feigning remorse. I couldn't believe the first thing she wanted to do with me this morning was argue.
"You play too much." she says. "You getting on my nerves, girl. Take your sandwich before I throw it at your damn head." I threaten, holding her sandwich out. I roll my eyes when I see her in my mirror, standing behind my chair, one arm draped over my chest, taking the sandwich from my hand. She bends down and hugs me from the back. "I'm sorry. You know I'm crazy. Thanks for the sandwich. Love you." she says, pecking me on the cheek.
"How were you so happy in your sleep, but you snippy as soon as you wake up?" I ask.
"I was smiling? Damn. I wish I knew what for. I sure could use a serotonin boost." she says, taking a bite of the sandwich. "Catch ya later."
And with that she finally took her moody ass to class with about ten minutes to spare.