Gone With The Gwen

This was when I spring another surprise on Cam. "Let's go eat. We can go wherever you want." She cracked up. "If only Kleo were here to see this. I can't get her to buy a nigga a pack of candy. You tryna be her replacement?" she asks, then busting out in laughter. "Hell, nah. You be stressing her the hell out. What do I look like, volunteering to be stressed out?" she giggles. "You're an asshole. But you're also right. Forreal, though, I'm thinking about calling it off, forreal this time." That was not even anything I wanted to talk about. All I knew was, it probably was not going to good at all when it actually did occur. I had already said too much in the first place. So I change the subject. "What you in the mood for tonight?" I ask again. She thinks on it for a minute. "You like Mexican food? I like Mexican food. Reminds me of home." she said, like she was reminiscing of the old days again."

"Aw, you're Mexican?" I asked.
"Black and Puerto Rican. My mama spent most of her teenaged years in Mexico, 'cause her dad got a huge opportunity, there. She fell in love with everything about the culture, including the food. So, it's pretty much all she made."

I laugh. "Mexican, it is. And, hey, as luck would have it, I can see a Mexican spot just down the road." I say. That's when we both started heading in the direction of the restaurant.

It was called Manuela's. We walked in and got served pretty swiftly. I had some chicken enchiladas, while she ordered steak tacos. It was delicious. Just before the check came, Cam got quiet. Like.... uncomfortably quiet. "Gwen." she says, after a few minutes. She reaches her hand across the table, taking my hand into hers. She smiled and finally looked up at me. "Thank you. I needed this." she whispered. "I woke up today with the purpose of having a blast and not being all depressed and shit. But...today is, um.. the anniversary, of..." she couldn't really get the rest of the words out. I rush to her side of the booth and let her lean on me. She broke down, which actually surprised me. She was fine the whole time I had seen her, up until now. We even talked about her mom a little bit at the rink, and everything was fine! I patted her back and let her know she could take her time. I hoped we wouldn't miss the bus, but I could call an Uber if it came down to it. I wasn't going to rush her.

Later on that night, I tucked Cam into bed. She'd been mostly sad about her mom. I spent the evening telling her how good she did today, and some more inspirational shit. Nothing could curb her mood. So, I figured what she needed was a good sleep. So, after we got ready for bed, I basically talked her into taking a sleeping pill to keep her asleep through the night. It was a win-win situation. Cam would be able to stay asleep, and I wouldn't have to wake up to crying— at least for tonight. I mean, I never really got mad about it, but it was always concerning. I never knew how to mind my own business, so naturally I would feel obligated to console her. Tonight, I could sleep, worry free. I stood by her bed, as she took the last gulp of water from her glass. She passed it to me and I put it on her nightstand. "Night, Gwen!" she said.
"Night night. Don't let the bedbugs bite!" I respond, pecking her on the cheek. She rolled her eyes. "I don't even have enough energy to clown you for that, so I'ma just close my eyes and forget it ever happened." she said. I laughed on my way to turning out the lights. Then, it was time for me to close my eyes.

The next morning, I woke up to KP calling me. "Hey." she says, after I greet her. "Let's get breakfast in an hour. We need to get something on our stomach before we head out. Wear something you can move around in, okay?" she says. Hmm... still had no clue on where the hell she was taking me. "Alright, I'll see you then." I said. "Bye." we said, simultaneously, which made me smile. I hung up the phone and got up and began to make my bed. I didn't even hear Cam wake up thirty minutes later, but she scared me. I had just finished getting dressed. "Leaving so soon?" she asks. I fluff my hair out even more. It was back to its normal style—wild and free. I had a ponytail holder on hand, though, just in case I had to tie my hair back for some reason. I had on a pretty basic outfit. I just had on a white wifebeater with a slightly oversized red, white, and black button up shirt. I just left it open. Then, I had on some black jeggings and black and white vans. Then, I put on some black earrings. "Yeah. Finna go see what's up with KP. What you bout to do?" I say. She shrugs. "I don't know. Probably get started on homework or something."
"No, Cam. We just had a big test yesterday. Don't worry about homework until tomorrow, at the earliest. How about you go chill with Tracey today? I know she'd probably down to hang." I say, hoping to sway her to leave the room. I didn't really want to think about her being in the room, not having fun. I didn't know if she was out if her funk, yet. My phone vibrated as I finished putting on my chapstick. I glance at the phone. It was Ti, calling from the jail. I rolled my eyes. I didn't even wanna deal with her today. "I don't even know if I wanna be bothered. It's always some weird undertone whenever we wind up in the same space." Cam tells me.
"Well, yeah, that's normal. You should spend more time together, and that weird undertone will wear right off. I'm surprised you still feel like that when she was at the Early Bird thing."She doesn't answer me, she just sighs. Finally, she speaks. "I guess I could see if she wants to slide to the mall or something. I need new clothes."
I turn around and celebrate privately. Maybe this time Trae could get Cam to be interested in her. I truly was excited for both of them. The celebration is cut short as I grab my stuff and head for the door. "Great, I wanna hear all about it later. See you later, love youuu." I say, as I leave. Then, I texted Tracey. "Clear your schedule. Something great is gonna happen today." I wrote. I cackled as I clicked send. I didn't wanna totally ruin the surprise. That's why, as soon as she hit me back, I left her on read. She'd understand later.

I met KP about halfway through my walk to the cafeteria. She was wearing a super casual outfit, as well. She had on a red, short sleeved TRU tee and some cargo shorts on. She had on some black Nike Air Forces. I raised my brows at that. I laughed at her noticing why I side-eyed her. KP had gotten her hair retwisted, so it was in a nice bun. I could see that her eyebrows were done. The bitch was clean. And here I was, giving caterpillar brow. Suddenly, I felt like she would think I didn't care about her enough to snazz up my appearance. Hell, even Cam got a new hairstyle out of me. After we finished greeting each other, I asked her what was in her book bag. "Don't worry about it. Now, come on."

After breakfast, KP takes me by the hand to walk back across campus. "You're so gay." I say, pretending to make fun of her. Truth is, I really liked it. People stared, but we didn't care. Just then, we come across a black 2016 Chevrolet Camaro. It was pretty and it turned out to be hers. "You mean to tell me we took the bus as well as the metro, and then walked to get to the amusement park, when you had a whip this whole time?" I shake my head in disbelief. She unlocks the car doors and opens the passenger side door. "Get in." she says. I do as she says, and put my seatbelt on as she makes her way to the drivers' side. She gets in, puts her own seatbelt on and finally responds to me. "You really wanna know why I didn't tell you?" she asks. "Yeah."
"Well, I knew being on public transportation meant it would take longer to get there, which meant I could spend more time with you. It took forever, but I had a lot of fun with you the whole time we were out. Even when you went crazy." I furrowed my brows. "Me?" I asked. I didn't know what she was talking about. She turns the car on and finally we're backing out of the parking lot. "How don't you remember that? You went completely nuts!" she said, glancing at me for a second. I just shrugged. "I believe you, I just can't remember it. I must've been pissed." I commented. "I had to literally pick you up so you didn't run back to 'em."
"You did, huh? I'm sorry I put you through that aggravation." I snickered. "You know I'm a hot mess." I say. She only laughs in response.

Thirty minutes later, we were engrossed in conversation when she finally pulls over on top of what looked like part of a hike. When she saw the confused look on my face, she reassured me I'd understand it in just a second. "Get in the back." she says. "I'll be back in just a second." Oh, so she wanted to screw. Mm... couldn't be too mad at it. After all, it's the kind of relationship I said I wanted. I wasn't sad, or disappointed, even. I just thought she was into getting to know me on a personal level. She told me that, herself. I felt a slight tinge of... I guess I had to admit it... disappointment.

I get out and sit in the backseat, not saying anything. Back there is where I noticed a strange contraption that hung on the back of both of the front seats. It looked like some type of holder, or something. I scrunch my face in confusion as KP excitedly hops out from the front seat to join me in the back. She never closed either door, though. "I told myself I'd never admit it, but I'm so excited." she gushed. She retrieved her iPad and puts it into the pouch thing I'd seen earlier. Then, she plugged it into the aux cord. It boots up and she opened up an app. It was called Flix. I couldn't believe that even came into fruition. Netflix would probably sue their asses one day. Then, she says, "watch this". And goes back up to the front. She presses a button and I watched the roof of the car disappear. Ohhhh, so this was a convertible. I nodded my head in approval. "This is nice." I say, looking up at the clear skies. Wasn't sunny, but it still looked and felt beautiful outside. Then, she popped the trunk. Why, I wasn't sure. That was when she shut the driver's side door, and then came to actually join me in the back. Then, she picked a movie called The Elevator. I snickered. "A scary movie? You think I don't know what you're doing? You ain't slick!" I said, causing her to laugh. "Could you calm down? I didn't bring you out here for all that. C'mon, I thought you knew me better than that." she said to me. She got ready to push the play button. "But if you wanted to, I would." she said, winking. It sent a sensation through me that I didn't quite yet wanna acknowledge. "Girl, quit playin' wit' me. Watch the damn movie." I said, opening a piece of candy she gave me. "I ain't start it yet."
"Start it, then, hell ." I snap. I angrily fumble with the wrapper. I couldn't stand this fine ass bitch.