You Wanna See Me Neki Nekkid Nekkid

Rihanna was blaring out of the speakers in my room the next morning. I had just come back from Sign Language class with Tracey. Before saying my goodbyes to her, I heard a faint repetitve thud coming from the opposite direction. As I got closer and closer, I realized it was coming out of my room. Of course it was Cam blaring the music.

I walked in my room and noticed that Cam and Neki were dancing with each other, almost naked. I figured that they'd had another rendezvous. If it didn't feel so awkward to be in the same room with them, I might have thought it was cute of them to be dancing together. But I didn't. Once she noticed I was in the room, she stopped the music.

"Oh, hey girl." she says, before turning back to Neki. "This is my roommate, Gwen."

"Gwen, this is Kleo." I fake smile at her. "Hi, Kleo. Nice to meet you."

"Yeah, likewise." she said, realizing that I didn't have to be coached into pretending I didn't know her.

"Oh, shit. I left my damn towel in the bathroom. I'll be back." she says, hurrying out of the room.

I just laid on top of my bed and faced the wall. If I didn't have to deal with Neki right now, I wasn't going to. I scrolled through the MyLife app and saw that I had another message from gxrlslayer. But before I can open the message, I hear Neki clearing her throat, obviously wanting to speak with me. I turned my head over to Cam's side of the room and noticed that she had made herself comfortable by sitting on the bed, facing me.

"Is there a reason you are looking at me?" I asked, still looking at my phone.

She sighed. "Hell, we're both here. It was obvious we'd have to speak again one of these days."

"We don't have to speak about anything, 'Kleo'. I said, making sure to emphasize her new name.

"Yeah, about that. Thanks for not blowing my cover."

I sat up. "You know what? I would like to talk. What's the deal with the name? Kleo? Are you serious?"

"What's wrong with 'Kleo'? It's cute!"

"It's just not that great a choice of an alias, that's all. Never mind all that— what the hell happened to you?" I asked. "You just randomly disappeared for literal years. Then you see me and screw your face up like I did something to you."

Neki laughs. "I have resting bitch face. I wasn't mean mugging anyone. I was more shocked than anything. Why're you out here?"

"Because I had to get the hell away from everything at home."

"At home? What's going on out there?"

"We're talking about you right now, Neki."

"Shhh!" she said, listening for footsteps outside of the door. "Kleo. It's Kle-o."

"Whatever." I said, crossing my arms. "What happened to you?" I asked again.

She lowered her voice. "Long story short, my mom and I escaped the clutches of my stepdad. He was hitting us and shit so we had to dip. We've been using our new names ever since. So now I'm Kleo."

I furrowed my brows. "If you're living under an assumed name, why did the professor use your birth name?"

"Must've been a mixup. Every important document you have to sign asks you for your birth name and your preferred name. Sounds like they thought Nekole was my new name." she says, shrugging. "Thank God it was only you that caught it. Nobody else brought it up. Could you imagine my stepdad hearing that shit?"
"Yeah, it could've been bad."
"I can't even believe I'm telling you about this— you're not supposed to share stuff like this with other people. I'm only telling you 'cause you knew me as Nekole. Everyone else only knows Kleo."