Gone With The Friend

I wake up at the asscrack of dawn the next morning. My date with Tracey wiped me completely out. Instead of just checking out the museum, we wound up hitting up the arcade and caught a movie. I just thought it was a good idea because we were making up for all the weekends where I wasn't able to hang out with her. I was dog tired by the end of the night but there was one thing that I had let slip my mind— my homework.

See, my story was done, for the most part. I only had to add the finishing touches. I was just unsure of how good it was. I couldn't ask Cam about it because she wanted to listen to my story with fresh ears. She wouldn't get into real details of her own story, 'cause she wanted me to listen to her story with fresh ears. Trae didn't have any time to be bothered with my story when she was down in the dumps. Shit, I guess I only had the opinion of KP to rely on. Of course, she hadn't heard my story, either, but she liked the premise. I'd just have to read over it again and make the necessary changes. Then I would just turn it in and no longer worry about it.

I scan the room and find that Cam's side was still empty. So, I see my playbook of helping her to woo Kleo, worked! I was happy to see that I could help them reconnect, or whatever. Just then, an alert hits my phone. I had an email, it looked like. I clicked on the notification and something came up from Joelson County Jails. I read the email, surprised. They were now launching an app where inmates can do virtual meetings with whomever they choose. It sounds like an outsider would have to purchase a subscription to the video chat service for the inmate, and then they can use it to call anyone that uses it. I thought it was a neat idea. I just wondered if it was something I should invest in. And it has nothing to do with the price. It was steep, sure, but I worried about something else. What if it made Ti's feelings for me, even stronger? I probably wanted to see her as bad as she wants to see me. I just didn't want her to get any ideas. I'm dealing with somebody new, right now. Even though I finally admitted it to her, I knew she would do whatever she could to win me over. This video chat situation just provides another avenue for her to try and do that. I just feel like it'll tear us further apart, after we worked so hard on just trying to get along again. Ugh...

Out of nowhere, I was jolted awake. "Gwen. Gwen!" I heard a voice call. I rub my eyes, trying to understand what it was that was happening. I didn't even remember falling asleep. I try to look at who was shaking me, but wound up squinting because of how bright the sun made the room. "Gwen, get up." I hear the same voice say. "Wha-? What's going on?" I croak.

"We can't find Alexis."
By this time, I had gotten my eyes open wide enough to see that it was Cam. And she looked really worried.. "What's wrong with you?"

"We can't find Alexis!" she exclaimed.

I wiped my eyes. "What do you mean, you can't find Alexis?"

"Tracey hasn't seen her since yesterday and she isn't answering her phone. She hasn't been answering my texts, either."

"What time is it?"

"Noon. Tracey said she hasn't seen her since yesterday morning. She said she left when y'all were getting ready to go out."

"Yeah, she said she was going out with Kevin." I confirmed. "She probably stayed the night, that's all. No need to panic." This situation reminded me of the first time I slept overnight at KP's place. Cam and Trae combined had sent a bunch of messages, asking me if I was okay and stuff. I figure they just get worried when people don't let them know that they'll be back late. I thought they were worrying for nothing. Besides, Alexis is a big girl. She doesn't have to let Tracey know that she'll be out late. Of course, it would've been nice, but it's not required.

"You could be right." Cam concedes.

"See? She's probably still asleep, or something."
"But what if she's not?"
I take a deep sigh. "Alright... how about this? I'm gonna go get ready. After I finish, I will call her. And if she doesn't answer, I'll start looking for her, okay? Just... don't tell anyone else about this. I don't wanna create panic if when we don't even know what's going on."

"Fine." she says, sitting down on her own bed and looking at her phone.

I grab my shower caddy and towel and make my way to the bathroom.

About an hour later, I was finally ready to dial Alexis' number. I rolled my eyes as I put my ears to the phone. Even if she didn't answer, I knew she was fine. But if she didn't answer, I knew it was gonna convince Cam and Trae that something was really wrong with this girl. So I hoped for her sake that she was awake and picked up this damn phone. When I got sent to voicemail the first time, I tried her again. But when I got sent there again, I recalled that she was sharing her location with me. I had told her to share her location with me so somebody would know where she was, just in case she couldn't tell anyone, herself. When I did that, I could see that her phone was just across campus, past the cafeteria. It was in the boys' dorm-- Lamont Hall.

I looked across the room, at Cam. "She's fine, she's in Lamont Hall. With Kevin. Like I said."

Cam thinks for a second. "Let's just go make sure she's there." she suggests. I could see that she would not calm down until we actually proved to her that she was on this damn campus, so I decided we'd better do that. "Fine." I texted Tracey to let her know that me and Cam were gonna go look for Alexis. Then she alerted that she was coming, as well. She joined us when we passed her room, on our way out of the building. I was just a bit concerned as to how this whole thing would transpire, what with the recent drama between those two. But I knew Tracey really cared about Alexis' wellbeing just as much as me or Cam. That is her roommate, after all.

We managed to get to the dorm, without incident. It was a bit strange to hold conversations with both of them, with neither of them saying anything to the other. But it confused me, because they were texting each other just a short while ago. I understood that the situation is dire, in their opinion, but still. We walk into the dorm after one of the boys uses their ID to open the doors. That guy was an angel in disguise. How could we forget that we needed someone to let us in the dorm. Our ID cards only opened the main doors to the dorm we lived in, to keep everyone safe. When we got to the front room area, Tracey and I stood back, as Cam worked her magic at the front desk. Turns out she kind of knows the RA on duty has a crush on her, and she flirted with her, to get the number to Kevin's room. Tracey shook her head, obviously disgusted with what she was doing. "Stop." I whisper to her. She knows why Cam is doing all this. Now wasn't the time for her to catch an attitude.

Armed with the new information, all three of us head towards the elevator. Cam presses the number 4 on the keypad and we all wait. She leads the way, stopping at the third door on the left— room 417.

She knocks on it, rapidly. When we get no answer, she begins to knock again; harder this time. It opens shortly after. A Kleo Thomas looking boy peeks his head out, obviously confused as to what was going on. "Hey... who are you?"
"Where's Alexis?" Cam demands, ignoring his question.
"She left an hour ago...why?" he responds. Now it was my turn to ignore his question. "Do you mind if we just peek in your room real quick? Her last known iPhone location was here."

He hesitates for a second, but eventually opens the door to his room, all the way. We all peek in, and note that the room was much too cluttered to hide anybody. There's no sign of her or the phone.

Where is she?

⭐️ Vote/Comment ⭐️