Hairy Situations

To my surprise, KP actually had other plans for us, today. She took me to an Adventure Park, which is kind of like a fun obstacle course. It also involved heights, so she dared me to go on the zipline. I told her I'd only go if she went, too. So we both damn near passed out from too much excitement, earlier. Surprisingly, though, I liked doing that more than being on that rollercoaster. KP really was fun to hang out with. I really should make it a point to go out with her more often. I made it a point to tell her that and she had been wearing a permanent smile since then. It was quite the ego booster, because I noticed she didn't do too much of it. Now we were sitting in front of my dorm, in the drop-off area. Neither of us really wanted the date to end, though. "You think about what I told you, okay?" she tells me. "Okay." I say. She leans forward and plants another kiss on my lips. "I'll catch you later, KP." I say, smiling. "It's Kibrina, to you." she reminds me. I giggle in response. "Alright. So, I'll see you Monday?" I asked. "We're still on for Monday, but after that, I probably won't see you til the weekend. Hit me if you wanna do something then, aight?" she replied.
"Okay. See ya." I say. With that, I hop out of the car and shut the door gently.  I bring what was left of my food with me and walk up the steps to the very front door. I wave as she finally pulls off. I grabbed my ID and scanned it, hearing a loud beep. The door was now unlocked, so I walked in the dorm. I give a head nod to both Joel and Araya, who were working the front desk. Me and Araya kept it cool for the most part, in front of other people.

I get to my room and start to undress myself. I was in desperate need of a shower and a good shampoo, too. As exhausted as I was, there's no way I wasn't gonna do it. With my towel on, I add my hair products to the caddy and put my flip flops on. Then I grabbed my key and tossed the other towel over my shoulder and headed straight for the bathroom.

Sometime later, I was back in the room, blowdrying my hair. I sat in front of my mirror, pulling and tugging at my hair. I mumble a few curse words in annoyance. I walk to the other end of my room and grab some butterfly clips from the nightstand at the other side of my bed. Just then, I hear the door open. I bend over to the very bottom row to see if my Denman brush was there. "Oh, hey Gwen." Cam says. "Hey, girl." I reply, not missing a beat. She must've walked to her desk because she gasped. "For me?" she asked. "You know it!" I confirmed. When I first came in, I put had put the bag of food on her desk. Whenever I could, I always got her something, 'cause she is a self-professed 'fatass'. "Thanks! What you doing?" she asks. "Looking for my brush." I reply, finally seeing it, all the way against the wall. I scoff and reach for it. Then I walked back to my desk, and get back to work, facing her this time.

"So..." I began, wiggling my brows. "How was it, hanging out with Tracey?" I ask. She shrugged. "Oh, it was cool. You know, the usual." I nodded my head slowly. "Oh, well, what did y'all do?" I ask. "We went to the mall and caught a movie. We linked up with Alexis, Iggy, and Bridget." I raised a brows. "So, it wasn't just y'all?" I asked. I had to refrain from cringing. "Nah...I mean, it was for a little while. But then everybody started texting me, saying they were bored so I just invited them to hang out with us."
"Did you ask Tracey if it was cool?" I asked, concerned. "Nah. I knew she wouldn't mind."
"Cam, it was supposed to be just y'all. I can't imagine y'all got to the bottom of this supposed weird vibe you get from her."
"Ah, it was fine. She seemed happy the whole time. And no, Bridget was going on and on and on about her damn problems the whole time. To be honest, G, I don't even know how I've survived being around her all this time. I didn't even get to spit game on Alexis." she says, rolling her eyes. There it is, again, that horrible familiar feeling of being referred to as 'G'. Ugh, I knew I would have to talk to her soon about that. Right now I chose to ignore it, 'cause I was way more interested in getting her to stop going after somebody who clearly isn't into girls. I stop brushing my hair for a second.
"For the last time, Alexis is straight! Stop tryna fuck straight girls, girl." I warned.
Cam smacks her teeth and pops a nugget into her mouth. "She's gonna realize she loves me one day." she says, dramatically. I shake my head. "You and Trae are a mess, I fuckin' swear." I whisper.
"Me and Trae, what?" she inquired.
"Never mind. I take it you still had a good time?" I say, finally starting to flatiron my hair.
She nods her head. "Yeah, it was fun, I guess. But I think we all missed you." she admits. "So, what'd you do?" Cam asks. I turned back to the mirror in an effort to hide my excitement. Also, I needed to look in it to see what I was doing with my hair. "Yeah, it was great. Apparently we are thrill seekers in denial. Did you know KP took a nigga ziplining, today? I've never been so scared, Cam." I admit.
Cam's mouth drops. "What? You can zipline out here?"
"I mean, we were damn near out in the boonies, but it's not too far out. We went to that Adventure Park." I say. I don't even mention the whole movie situation, 'cause I wasn't quite interested in sharing. "That sounds like the perfect date. I'm finna ask Alexis to go with me out there one day."
"Good luck with that." I said. I was done with trying to get her to back off of Alexis. She wouldn't stop until Alexis point blank cursed her ass smooth out. And when it happens, I'm just gonna turn the other cheek.

Eventually, I got through flat ironing my hair. Then, it was time for me to wrap it so I could finally go the fuck to sleep. Hallelujah!

The next morning, I stopped by Tracey's room to talk. When she opened the door, she looked like she was still perturbed about what went down yesterday. Immediately, I feel horrible for her. I walked in, twiddling with my fingers. I noticed Alexis wasn't there. I begin to start talking. "I already know what you're gonna say. You have no idea how sorry I am." I said, cringing. "I swear to God I thought it was just gon' be y'all."
She chuckles incredulously. "You good, I know what you were trying to do. I'm just so over this whole fucking thing. I thought me and Cam would finally get some alone time and she called the whole squad to join in."
"I know." I said, in a hopefully comforting tone. "I tried to get all dolled up, just for her, and the only one who said anything about it was Iggy. Then Bridget complimented me, then Alexis, and all Cam did was nod in agreement, to be polite. For the life of me, I can't figure out what it is about me that she just can't get past!" she screams in frustration. "I'm tired of being let down. I'm done with her. She can get her heart broken by the straight bitch if she wants to. I'm not gonna be there to pick her up." she vents. I give her a long hug. She never cried, but I could tell she needed this. Just then, I got a bright idea.

"Trae." I said. "No." she replied, flatly.
I smack my teeth. "You don't even know what I was gonna say."
"I feel like it's gon be some bullshit like, let's all gather up for dinner tonight. I don't wanna be around her."
"No, we 'bout to have a day on the town. Hell, both of us could use a self-care day. Besides, we ain't been nowhere together in a hot minute. Wanna go?" I ask.
"Okay, yeah. Let's go." she says, grabbing her bookbag and ID. I run to get mine, and we head out for the number one place people go to, to make them feel better—the mall.